david.plume

Who knew that my Cisco VPN could crash Arc Server 10.1?

Discussion created by david.plume on Apr 12, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2020 by david.plume
Hi Everyone,

I've recently installed Server Enterprise 10.1 on my Windows 7 machine and have had a heck of a time keeping the services running.

My installation went smoothly.  Once started I checked my permissions for the arcgis user and was able to start the Server Manager fine.

Things went downhill from there.  As soon as I begin interacting with the server I began to get messages like:

Failed to start the server machine...Required port 4000 already in use.

I checked that port using netstat -ao and found the port was in use ... by a process owned by the arcgis server user.

I tried starting and stopping the service but then found that subsequent tries at starting the server manager failed completely the site was not available.

I did find that rebooting would re-expose the site but subsequent interactions with the site would crash the services.

Finally I recalled having problems with our Cisco VPN crashing the my license manager a few months ago. Sure enough, I found that if I turned off my VPN the Server started to work -- well at least until this writing.  I've not fully exercised it but was able to publish an arcmap service.

I'm writing this partly for the record and to ask -- has anyone else out there had compatibility problems between your VPN (or similar) and server?

Thanks in advance
David

Outcomes