Instances Running per machine

04-12-2013 06:53 AM
StevenMenefee1
New Contributor II
I'd like to verify something if I could.  We have an ArcGIS Server 10.1 site running with 2 ArcGIS Server machines.  If I have a service with the minimum instances set to 0 and the max set to 1, is it possible for the "Instances Running" in ArcCatalog to display 1 or would it always show 2 if someone used that service and an instance was started?  I think it could show 1 because of the way the load balancing works (we're utilizing the web adaptor)...when an end user uses that service it would spin up a new instance on just one of the machines and not the other one, correct?  Then, if another user were to use the service at the same time, it would spin up a new instance on the other machine and Catalog would then show 2.

I'm confused because on the services that I have set with a min of 1 instance, it always show 2 instances in Catalog because there's a min of 1 on each machine running (therefore 2).  However, with a min of 0 set, I believe Catalog could show 1 instance running for that particular service because it only spins up a instance on one machine.  I just want to make sure that makes sense...thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Services have a minimum number of instances property. This represents the number of instances that are already created and available for use on each GIS server machine so if you have 2 machine in site and if you set 0 you should have 0 (0+0). if you set 1 you should have 2 (1+1) and so on.
see http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/0154/015400000301000000.htm
0 Kudos