When building tile packages w/ ArcGIS Desktop, is it possible to limit small scale?

Jump to solution
04-11-2013 03:46 PM
LanceCase
Occasional Contributor
When using "File > Share As > Tile Package option in ArcMap" to build tile packages locally, the wizard only allows me to choose the large scale end of things, but not the small scale.  When I was zoomed in to make my layer visible, the wizard only generated the tile package for the view extent.  I suspect the same will be true if I zoom to the full extent (1:500,000), but I don't intend to view the data at this scale.  I want to be able to pan the full spatial extent of the data at about (1:16,000 and larger (zoomed in further to no more than 1:1,000)).  How do I do this?

Thanks everyone.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCase
Occasional Contributor
I discovered that you can use the "Manage Tile Cache" tool to delete unwanted scales generated from the "Share As > Tile Package" wizard.  Simply add the tile package to the Manage Tile Cache tool, change the manage mode to "delete tiles", and uncheck the scales you want to keep.

Now, to figure out how to create the tile package with the extent and scales I wanted in the first place...  (tile creation takes forever!)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LanceCase
Occasional Contributor
I discovered that you can use the "Manage Tile Cache" tool to delete unwanted scales generated from the "Share As > Tile Package" wizard.  Simply add the tile package to the Manage Tile Cache tool, change the manage mode to "delete tiles", and uncheck the scales you want to keep.

Now, to figure out how to create the tile package with the extent and scales I wanted in the first place...  (tile creation takes forever!)
0 Kudos