Layer symbology after upload

04-11-2013 05:02 AM
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
I have just started with AGOL. Got my account sorted a few days ago.
I have started very slooowly.

I opened a new ArcGIS mxd, loaded a fc with 2 polygons in it.
Set the symbology to a hollow fill with a blue / yellow outline. Also set a label with the name of the polygon.
Signed in, did all the checking etc and clicked publish.
When I go to AGOL and look at my content, the symbology is gone to be replaced with a semi-transparent grey fill with a thick black outline. Also no label.
Am I mistaken to think that the symbology of the layer uploaded should be maintained?
Or does all the symbology have to be set within AGOL.
What about symbol quantities (like analytical values for samples), is this all lost?

Thanks in advance,
Neil
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ArnauFORNER1
New Contributor
I have the same problem with the symbology. When I publish a feature service with some polygons, some of them appear with this semi-transparent fill.

Labels don't appear in AGOL, the solution is to convert it to annotations.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Feature services, in general, have more limited symbology options. This help topic from ArcGIS Server explains what type of symbols are supported. Look for the heading "Defining the symbology"

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Authoring_feature_services/0154000003nt000...

Feature services return the geometry of features to a client app, like a web browser, then rely on the client's ability to draw the features. Unlike all the symbol options available in ArcMap, web and mobile clients have much more limited abilities.

Feature services do not support labels. They only return feature geometry.

If you want to maintain labels and symbology, you need to publish a hosted tiled map service.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos