Editing without Clicking on a map

04-10-2013 11:53 AM
CraigMcDade
Occasional Contributor III
I'm looking to build a new application that allows staff to edit a service/layer. They will be inputting new survey benchmark data based on lat/long.

All of the current samples I have seen on the ESRI site show the editing done by clicking a point on a map and then populating the fields in the popup.

My goal would be to input the fields first and then have the app recognize the x,y and draw new point.

This would eliminate the error of the spot being clicked not actually being the correct coordinates.

Also, they will be doing the input at the office, so enabling GPS or similar in the app won't be helpful.

Does anybody know of a sample or way to do this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
I have done just what you are asking about.  The process that I use is to map a graphic using the XY coordinates.  Add whatever attributes you'd like to that graphic.  Use the graphic as input to a geoprocessing service which will append the new graphics to existing data.  It works really well!

Ken
0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
Hi Craig,
Did you ever figure out a way to do this without using geoprocessing services?  I'm looking to do something very similar to what you've outlined, but using strictly the built in editing capabilities... I'd like to take existing point data, and then "move" it to user provided Lat/Long coordinates...  Did you figure anything out?

Thanks,
Ken
0 Kudos