Which sides of a parcel have road frontage.

04-10-2013 10:27 AM
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III
Im trying to figure out how to find which 'side' of a land parcel has road frontage. The matter is complicated by our PA not storing true curves when they draw the parcels. Any cul-de-sac is made of hundreds of tiny lines each technically a side of the polygon. Ive converted polygons to lines and split at vertex but I cant figure out of the line fronts a road. I was thinking that if I can flag the segments as road front I could delete the other lines and merger the remaining back into longer lines by parcel ID. Any ideas on how to check this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HeatherHanson
New Contributor

Did you figure this out? I'm also at a PA office and they want to know water frontage of parcels.

0 Kudos
KevinBell1
New Contributor III

Maybe python isn't needed much?  Explode your parcels to individual segments, spatial join parcel segments to your roads.  Now the shortest distance segment would be your frontage.  

0 Kudos
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

Ive done something similar using the approach below:

1.  Simplify every parcel, to just 4 vertices     A quick and dirty method is to use minimum rectangle - by area. Minimum Bounding Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop
  2. Use Feature Vertices To Points—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  to get a point for each vertex.
  3. Use Split Line at Point—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop  to convert each parcel, into 4 "Side" line features.
  4. Spatial join the sides to the roads, for each parcel, the side with the smallest distance, is the frontage on the road.
0 Kudos