interactive filter template

04-10-2013 06:22 AM
JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II
I am trying to use the interactive filter template and having some issues.  I created a filter and checked the ???ask for values box??? but when I try to make a web applications from the resulting map using the filter template I get a ???Web map does not contain any interactive filters.??? Am I missing something?

There are so many possibilities with this template, really looking forward to using it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
GeorgeHaskett
Occasional Contributor III
Jerry,

Where you able to get the 'Interactive Filters' to work for you?
They seem to be misleading to say the least.  I am trying to do the same thing as you, and end up with the same error when trying to use my filters (value based) in the Filter web app template.

Any suggestons from what you have learned and attepmted thus far?

Haskett
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
I have not got it to work yet so I have been teaching myself the flex api and there is a widget that is similar to the apply filter.

It would be great if someone from esri could explain what the problem is. Are we setting up the template wrong or is there a problem with the template?
0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor
Hi Jerry and George,

I was able to set up a simple map with an interactive filter and then successfully publish the filter template.

Here is a map with a simple interactive filter, does this work for you with the filter template?
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=e831b2eb141b4c70a50db2222a8ea865

Can you provide some additional information to help me understand your workflow?
Are you working with a public account or within an organization?
Are up publishing the app via arcgis.com or are you downloading and configuring the app locally?
What browser are you using?
Is your feature service hosted on arcgis.com or via an arcgis server?
How complex is the filter you are creating, can you share your webmap with me?
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
It does work.

I am using an organization account. 

I publish the map service to our server and then bring it into AGOL. It is a map service not a feature service, do you think that is the issue? I can set up an interactive filter with the map service it is just when I publish it using the filter template, it still has the �??Web map does not contain any interactive filters". The city I work for has not provided room yet on our SDE for publishing feature services.  

I use firefox and internet explorer as my browsers.
0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor
It does work.

I am using an organization account. 

I publish the map service to our server and then bring it into AGOL. It is a map service not a feature service, do you think that is the issue? I can set up an interactive filter with the map service it is just when I publish it using the filter template, it still has the �??Web map does not contain any interactive filters". The city I work for has not provided room yet on our SDE for publishing feature services.  

I use firefox and internet explorer as my browsers.

It should work with a map service or a feature service.  I'm having a hard time reproducing it on my end, would it be possible for you to share the map publicly so i can try working with it, or you can invite me to join the org then remove my account after we figure out the problem, or even send me the map service url and i'll see if i can get it working with your service.
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
I can't share the maps since the data is on our sandbox behind a firewall. They can only be viewed by other city employees.
0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor
Attached are some screenshots I took for setting up the interactive filter and steps for how to use the developer tools to check the web map JSON to see if it contains a filter when launching the web app. 

Let me know if this helps with setting up the filter and if your web map JSON indicates that the filter exists. 

If it doesn't help with setting up the filter, can you provide the steps used to create the filter and possibly a screen shot of what the filter looks like in arcgis.com? 

Also, since access to your data is restricted you could also check the developer tools for any error messages indicating that the resource with the filter is not accessible.  If it ends up being a security issue then you might consider downloading the template and hosting it locally within your sandbox instead of publishing as hosted it on arcgis.com
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Thanks for looking into this Ian.

I created a filter and checked the "ask for values" box and filled out like you explained.  I then reopened the dialog box hit the edit button and the "ask for values" box is unchecked. I did this several times with several maps and the same thing happens.
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
I got it to work.  Thanks for your help Ian.
0 Kudos