ArcGis Online

04-03-2013 11:13 AM
ks6
by
New Contributor
Can I use feature and tiled map service that is hosted using ArcGIS online and ArcGIS desktop in building android applications?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes. Here's a link to the Developer documentation.

http://developers.arcgis.com/en/android/

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ks6
by
New Contributor
I did a little bit of research and found out that an application can access a map that's stored in the ArcGIS server, but since I haven't installed that can I still make maps in ArcGIS desktop and use it in my android application.
The example in the link you provided references a map stored in the server. Can you share an example where a map service hosted using ArcGIS online is used.
T
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You can't directly use maps from ArcMap on the web.  You need to publish your map as a web service. There are two ways to do this:

1. Publish to your own ArcGIS Server.
2. Publish to ArcGIS Online and create a hosted service. You need a subscription to ArcGIS Online to do this.

ArcGIS Online lets you create web maps that reference services. These web maps can be consumed in many different client applications, like Android apps. I can't tell you exactly how to write your code. Looks like you already found the Android forum, that is the best place for coding questions.

It is possible to create web maps where a small amount of data (less than 1000 features) is directly loaded into the web map via a shapefile or CSV file. These would also display on an android client app.

Accessing web maps requires the app to be connected to the internet.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ks6
by
New Contributor
Thanks a lot!:)
0 Kudos