emlevy

Multi-Variable Index Help

Discussion created by emlevy on Mar 28, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 by emlevy
Hello,

I am working on a model within Model Builer using ArcGIS 10.1 and am stumped on creating an index of walkability to score segments of a street.  I am comparing a 3 block section along a street to a 2 block section of the same street for a school project.  I have 10 variables: polygons of commercial, residential, and industrial/office parcels, polygons of parks, polygons of sidewalks, polygons of walking hazards, points of intersections with number of crosswalks per intersection, points of light rail stops, points of bus stops, and a line file of the street segments with number of benches per block.  I have used the near tool for parcels, parks, light rail stops and bus stops to find the nearest distance to the street segment I am studying.  All of those factors are within 0.5 miles of the street study area.  The other factors not mentioned are along the 3 block study area (sidewalk area, walking hazard area, number of crosswalks, number of benches).  Next I scored each variable on a 1 to 4 scale based on established criteria.  So now I have 10 individual shapefiles all with a score of 1-4, and a variation of points, lines and polygons.  My problem is in combining the variables into a file to show the walkability score for the 3 block study area that I am looking at.  My thought process was originally to convert to raster and use raster calculator but was having problems with that, and was also told I should stay in vector and add up the ten variables to the line segment file of street centerlines for the 3 block selection.  Since they have 1-4 scores and there are ten, it should create a score of 10-40 in the output.  However, I have no clue how to do that.  Anyone have any suggestions or guidance?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Evan

Outcomes