Problems Remotely Stopping ArcGIS Server (AGS) Services

03-22-2013 06:51 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
To All AGS Administrators and Users:

I had a bat file that remotely stopped AGS geocode services before the associated Address Locators were rebuilt on a weekly basis.  I was using psexec to call AGSSOM.exe from a remote server.  This worked without any issues when I was using Windows Server 2003.

I have upgraded my server environment to Windows Server 2008 and now the geocode services do not always get remotely stopped so I cannot rebuild the Address Locators due to AGS locks on the Address Locator.

Has anyone experienced any issues similar to this?

Is there another method that can be employed (possibly through python) to remotely stop the geocode services in place of the psexec software and AGSSOM.exe?

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
with psexec have you a message warning/error in console in Windows 2008 ? Have you UAC enabled (http://riosec.com/Windows-UAC-PsExec)?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Domenico:

Can you elaborate in more detail where I would find a possible message warning/error in Windows Server 2008?

Also, how can I tell if I have UAC (what does that stand for) enabled?

Could you also possibly explain why my bat file would be able to stop 1 service, but it fails to stop the 2nd service that I call after stopping the first service?
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Have you further details in event viewer windows and/or in ags log?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Domenico:

I did not see any errors in the Event Viewer or the AGS logs for the geocode service that could not be stopped.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Domenico:

Do you think the rest admin api is more solid than psexec in conjunction with agssom.exe?

My scheduled task that stops 2 geocode services with psexec in conjunction with agssom.exe worked fine this weekend but did not last weekend, even though nothing in my system changed so it is kind of unstable.

Would I have access to the rest admin api at 10.0?  I ask because this is my current production environment for at least another 6 months while my organization plans for and executes the upgrade to our enterprise environment.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Excuse me, I have seen that you have posted in ags forum 10.1 so I thought that you had 10.1
Is your problem relate at this: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/33018 ?
Have you tried posted in geocode forum?
0 Kudos