no maps visible once logged in

03-21-2013 06:42 PM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III
I just installed Collector for iOS and despite having a full ArcGIS online account I don't see any maps in the app once logged in. There are no maps visible under "All", My Maps", or my "Organization".

I've logged in and out several times but nothing changes. What should I be seeing once logged in? It sounds like even a basic online account would show a series of maps available for viewing under "All".
Tags (2)
13 Replies
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
In the app itself from the sign in page there should be a link that says learn more you can tap that to get more information on how to author maps for data collection, that link will take you to http://resources.arcgis.com/en/collector/  where we have a few tutorials to help you get up and running.  Once you've authored a map for collection, log in to the app with your organizational account and it should show up.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
In the app itself from the sign in page there should be a link that says learn more you can tap that to get more information on how to author maps for data collection, that link will take you to http://resources.arcgis.com/en/collector/  where we have a few tutorials to help you get up and running.  Once you've authored a map for collection, log in to the app with your organizational account and it should show up.

I'll take a closer look at that. I followed what looked to me to be similar workflows for creating a map in ArcGIS online assuming anything I created there would be available as a map base in Collector. There must be a specific step in the map build process that makes it available to Collector?
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
The biggest difference is that you need to have an editable point feature service (lines and polys are coming in a future release) in the map for it to be compatible with the Collector.   If you want to share the map with me I can take a look.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
The biggest difference is that you need to have an editable point feature service (lines and polys are coming in a future release) in the map for it to be compatible with the Collector.   If you want to share the map with me I can take a look.

Ok, that's the critical piece of missing information. Thank you. I'll experiment with a point layer and see how that works.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
I'm still unclear exactly what step in the process makes the map visible to my Collector app but it works. It seems that adding an editable point service isn't enough, you have to go into the attribute schema and make changes there before it will show up.
0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Is this still correct? 

Ive spent fair bit of time today trying to get my web-map into collector but had similar problems in that it does not show up in collector when logged in.

If so, this seems like this should be highlighted in the docco?

My requirements are to edit a polygon layer (inspection zones), so that the field crew can update the polygon with a new status attribute which will change the symbology as well.

Unless I have missed something, looks like I am going to have to investigate other alternatives such as custom iOS development.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Currently the Collector apps only support point data collection. In our next release we will be bringing line and polygon support. The ArcGIS for iOS/Androind/WP apps support lines and polygons right now but you will not get the field crew tracking functionality.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
christophersmith6
New Contributor
For some reason I am having a similar problem. I followed the workflow explained at http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/collector/02t400000006000000.htm but my map does not appear in the Collector iOS app. It includes an editable point feature. The map, WMU Campus Sustainability is shared with everyone. Please advise. Scott
0 Kudos
christophersmith6
New Contributor
I figured it out. It appears that the editable point layer must also be a feature service. A point layer added to a map and made editable is not enough. Best, Scott
0 Kudos