Changing the name of the server

Jump to solution
03-20-2013 11:50 AM
BrentHoskisson
Occasional Contributor III
If I change the name of the server, what steps (if any) do I need to take in ArcGIS Server 10.1?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
I actually just did this about a week ago and it went very smoothly.  When you change the machine name in the control panel, your ArcGIS Server instance will automatically update.  All of your map services residing on the server will update, as well.  There may be a bit of lag time in your DNS server, but that should update automatically, too.  Once you change names on the server, open a command window from a different machine and ping the new server name and you should get a reply.  If you do not, you may need to use the command ipconfig /flushdns on the non-server machine and then ping it again.  You may need your network administrator to help if you run into issues (i.e. remove the server from your domain and then rejoin the domain, which will force the DNS server to recognize the new server name).  As for ArcGIS Server, everything should be automatic.  On the client side, if you have any applications that point to map services or mxds that point to the old name, you'll need to update those to the new name.
Hope this helps~

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
I actually just did this about a week ago and it went very smoothly.  When you change the machine name in the control panel, your ArcGIS Server instance will automatically update.  All of your map services residing on the server will update, as well.  There may be a bit of lag time in your DNS server, but that should update automatically, too.  Once you change names on the server, open a command window from a different machine and ping the new server name and you should get a reply.  If you do not, you may need to use the command ipconfig /flushdns on the non-server machine and then ping it again.  You may need your network administrator to help if you run into issues (i.e. remove the server from your domain and then rejoin the domain, which will force the DNS server to recognize the new server name).  As for ArcGIS Server, everything should be automatic.  On the client side, if you have any applications that point to map services or mxds that point to the old name, you'll need to update those to the new name.
Hope this helps~
0 Kudos
BrentHoskisson
Occasional Contributor III
It appears that all I needed to do was restart the ArcGIS Server service and run the Web Adaptor setup giving the new server name.
0 Kudos