Find missing cache tiles

03-20-2013 06:46 AM
JulieKusic
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS Server 10.1 and SP1.  I am creating cache tiles at 16 levels and using a small area to start with.  I am using a FC to define the extent.  I am creating Exploded cache (due to our users still using 9.3.1 desktop).  We are using one server that has 16 cores and using 15 max instances.   

In the View Cache Status, Cache Status tab, it tells me some levels were completed at less than 100%, which means to me that some tiles were not created.  In the Job Status tab it shows the status of "Done" and Completed % at 100%.  The cache generation will then stop.  It shows no errors.  When I look at the tiles in the service I can clearly see missing cache tiles at almost all of the extents.  I try to run the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles GP and recreate empty tiles but it does nothing.  How can I easily find missing tiles and create a feature class of the missing areas? Or better yet, why do I have so many missing tiles??  I have looked at the status.gdb but I have found it to be worthless because it does not identify specific tiles that are missing.  It just reports the % stats for each level.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Well, the completed vs expected tiles is going to be different; the expected tiles does not take into account the feature class extent you're using, so it's the number of total tiles.  The number of completed tiles is the number of tiles that were created based on your feature class extent.  Is the feature class you're using as an extent one large polygon, or is something that looks like a fishnet?  If it's one large polygon, try to create a fishnet that intersects your original polygon, so the only tiles from the fishnet that are left are ones that intersect your data.
0 Kudos
JulieKusic
New Contributor
I am using a large polygon as my extent.  I can break it into a fishnet but I don't understand how that will help me to identify missing tiles?  And I'm still unsure why I am even missing so many random tiles at all of the levels..  I had much better results with caching in 9.3.1 and that was terribly frustrating too.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
What are the chances that you can upgrade your users to 10 or 10.1 so you could use a compact cache instead of an exploded cache?  If possible, you might want to perform this task instead of trying to find the problem with the exploded cache not creating tiles.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Creating a fishnet won't allow you to find missing tiles, but if you recache your data using the fishnet, I believe it'll process each feature within the fishnet individually, then create the tiles for that feature.  It may help break up the caching job for the server.
0 Kudos
JulieKusic
New Contributor
Ok I'll try the fishnet - thanks

There is no possibility of upgrading the users to 10.1 at this time, unfortunately..
0 Kudos
JagteshwarSingh2
New Contributor

Hi Julie,

were you able to find a solution to this?

2018 now and using ArcGIS 10.6 but still having the same problem, reaching would complete upto 99.x% (x being anything here). It wont complete fully, however the job status shows it as fully complete and one cannot find out which tiles are missing (except from manual inspection of cache which isn't possible in case of very large caches)

0 Kudos