Decimal Places in ArcGIS online

03-19-2013 07:03 AM
AdamMcGlothlin
New Contributor
I am having trouble with loading coordinates in arcgis online. I am loading a CSV with lat/long data and everything loads fine. The problem is that it is only recognizing two decimal places and I need at least three. I have formatted the cells in the CSV file. Does anyone have some advice on this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Could you upload that file or maybe part of it for testing?
0 Kudos
BennettBerke
New Contributor
I am having trouble with loading coordinates in arcgis online. I am loading a CSV with lat/long data and everything loads fine. The problem is that it is only recognizing two decimal places and I need at least three. I have formatted the cells in the CSV file. Does anyone have some advice on this?

I was looking for a solution to the same problem that you have reported. I just noticed that the data is as you observed:  truncated at two decimal points of precision.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We'd need to look at the actual file that you're having trouble with. Perhaps you can upload it or a sample of it that fails here.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BennettBerke
New Contributor
I uploaded my problem file with about 20 sample records.  I used Streets as the basemap, and added a layer from file.

When looking at the table in ArcGIS, all the coordinates are at two decimals.  But on the map (when expanded), the points are separated.  So somewhere, more decimal precision is known.

But the display on the map is about 200 miles off the US west coast.  Maybe that's where the truncated coordinates are located.  I didn't actually check that.  Certainly no streets out there.

Same file works fine in the desktop software, so I know that the upload sort of / should work.
0 Kudos
JohnBlickem
New Contributor

Yeah, buddy!

0 Kudos
Dean_Heather
New Contributor

Would never have looked there--thank you Robert!!

0 Kudos