Eliminate Polygon Part tool does not delete the polygons I want to eliminate

03-13-2013 11:25 AM
JaredScott
New Contributor
I am using the Eliminate Polygon Part tool from the Data Management Toolbox (under generalization) to remove polygons of under 100000 square feet from my input feature.  The output feature works - you see large polygons that have "absorbed" the smaller ones.

My problem is that the small polygons are still in my output, only they are now located under the larger polygons (but within the same layer).  I want to completely delete the small polygons, not have a polygon with overlapping polygons.  I know I could do this manually but I'm surprised the tool doesn't actually remove the polygons from the new features.

Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
The tool is eliminating polygon PARTS; that is to say, parts of multipart polygons.
I may be mistaken, but it sounds like you are trying to remove SINGLE part polygons that are under a given size.

Eliminate Polygon Part will get rid of holes below your specified size, but leave any other seperate polygon (that may have been in the hole) in place.

If that is indeed the case, you could select the remaining features (including the overlaps), merge them, then explode them again. That could scramble your attributes, of course...
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
The tool should delete "contained" parts by the specified size. Did you check or uncheck the checkbox?

Can you share a sample data that reproduces what you see?
0 Kudos