ArcGIS Server Traffic

03-11-2013 10:33 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
I am administering ArcGIS Server (AGS) and I am trying to compare my AGS traffic to other organizations.

I am running AGS on Windows 2008 R2 which is also where IIS resides, so all service and application traffic is logged on this single server. The log files for this system are found at \\"Server Name"\c$\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SCV1.

We have about 7 public gis-based web applications and 15 public services originating from this server.

The log files have consistently been between 20-25,000 KB in size per day.  This does not seem to be a heavy load on the server (I was expecting heavier web traffic).

Can anyone share their log file size, as well as whether they are using a multi-SOC deployment, so I can compare my environment to gauge how far from server overload I am with this single server environment?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Bumped up.

This really should have been posted as a discussion as I do not expect there to be 1 answer as the GIS and IT architecture could be vastly different from organization to organization.  I'm just trying to get other organization's experiences.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Bumped up again

I was able to get log file sizes from a private organization that has semi-public secured services (Somewhat different environment from more public local government).  This organization's log files average about 10MB/day which is less than half of my organization's average log file size.

Again, all I am looking for are log file sizes for ArcGIS Server along with a brief description of ArcGIS Server architecture (e.g. multiple SOC machines), so I can compare the load on my ArcGIS Server environment with other organizations to gauge how close I am to overloading the current system.
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Michael,
The size of the IIS log file will greatly depend on the logging that has been configured on IIS and the format.

If you'd like to see if your server is being overloaded or not, just look at the average draw times for all of your http requests using the ArcGIS Server Administration python libraries. It would also be wise to use PerfMon on your server about once a month just to make sure everything is working as planned. This question is much more related to IT than to GIS. Do you have an IT admin or do you play both roles? If you're the Windows Server Admin. with public facing services, I'd recommend reading up on Server admin techniques, etc.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
GIS Dev:

I have my logging set to verbose.  Could you at least share the size of your log file and the logging level that you are employing, just so I have another AGS environment to compare mine to (at least at the log size level)?
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Occasional Contributor III
GIS Dev:

I have my logging set to verbose.  Could you at least share the size of your log file and the logging level that you are employing, just so I have another AGS environment to compare mine to (at least at the log size level)?

Sure, my daily logs (FINE) are about 7MB on the main production server.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
I do not see fine as an option (unless this is new to 10.1).  Would this be equivalent to Normal in 10.0?
0 Kudos