arc hydro Burn Stream Slope

03-09-2013 11:50 AM
Labels (1)
JohnDudula
New Contributor II
Hi, I was just wondering when I went through the steps in arc hydro it work fine until i got to Burn Stream Slope. I then select the correct layers and and press OK. The program then just dose nothing, I don't get error message, and a it dose not show that its running. Its as if OK button has been replace with cancel button. I looked in the form and did not see anything like before, if it has send me link to were it has happen or if I'm missing something please let me know?

thanks
Tags (2)
10 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
In the Arc Hydro processes, I've never used Burn Stream Slope. What specifically are you using it for?

Here is a link to a collection of solutions and strategies I've collected:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48100-ArcHydro-Problem-Solvers
0 Kudos
JohnDudula
New Contributor II
Arc Hydro's burn stream slope is used to burn linear stream slope into a DEM to force the direction of the flow in the stream. I Also tried all the suggestions that you mentioned before, but none of them seem to work. I contact ESRI but I don't qualify for support. do you know of an e-mail group I could ask about arc GIS or more specifically arc Hydro?

Thanks,
John
0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
If you have many streams and a big dem, the tool is probably busy working. It is editing the dem under each cell under the streams.
Note that this is an older tool that has not been optimized. This tool has now been "replaced" by the Create Drainage Line Structures/Adjust Flow Direction in Streams tools. These 2 tools will not burn the elevation in the DEM under the streams anymore but they will ensure that the flow direction goes in the digitized direction of the streams once the water reaches them.
We have left Assign Stream Slope/Burn Stream Slope in the menu as we do not like to take away tools from the users, but you should now try to use Create Drainage Line Structures/Adjust Flow Direction in Streams instead.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Water Resources Team
0 Kudos
StormwaterWater_Resources
New Contributor III

Is there a place to see what the current recommended steps are for DEM conditioning?  I'm following the (2.0) tutorial, and the tutorial says to do a Burn Stream Slope.  How can I see what I'm really supposed to do?

0 Kudos
teemooabdullah
New Contributor

your problem exactly same me 

0 Kudos
JohnDudula
New Contributor II
It may be that is taking long time for it to burn, but the program is not giving any indication that it burning. Is there usually a message when burring streams? I try looking for the tools you mention before but I could not find them in ArcHydro.  are they locate in certain version ArcHydro.

Thanks,
John
0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
You will have limited feeback with the tool from the menu. You will see more messages if you use the one from the toolbox.

Create Drainage Line Structures and Adjust Flow Direction in Streams (modified) are fairly recent and you will find them in the newest versions (2.1 for ArcGIS 10/10.1 for ArcGIS 10.1) of Arc Hydro.

Christine Dartiguenave
0 Kudos
JeffersonValencia_Gomez
New Contributor

Hi Christine,

I am working on the following workflow which I developed following the use case 5 from the document "Overview of Arc Hydro terrain preprocessing workflow". The workflow was running very well until the Flow Accumulation (Fac) process started. I have waited four days and I am getting desperation because it does not end. I need to proceed with further processes but I can not if this process never success. I read that there is a possibility that the Fac process can go into an infinite loop which is impossible to discover by looking the dialog window of ArcGIS. Please, can you suggest me modifications to my workflow or tell me if I am doing it wrongly?

ArcHydro_Model_2.jpg

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,

Jefferson

0 Kudos
RajatChopra
New Contributor
If you have many streams and a big dem, the tool is probably busy working. It is editing the dem under each cell under the streams.
Note that this is an older tool that has not been optimized. This tool has now been "replaced" by the Create Drainage Line Structures/Adjust Flow Direction in Streams tools. These 2 tools will not burn the elevation in the DEM under the streams anymore but they will ensure that the flow direction goes in the digitized direction of the streams once the water reaches them.
We have left Assign Stream Slope/Burn Stream Slope in the menu as we do not like to take away tools from the users, but you should now try to use Create Drainage Line Structures/Adjust Flow Direction in Streams instead.

Christine Dartiguenave

as mentioned by you, I have tried using both Burn streams and also latest upgrade drainage line structure, though DEM is not fairly big and i kept my system on over the night as it was taking long time, but still it is goin on. it is more than 20 hours almost but still no clue whether process is burning or not.

Please help. as early as possible
0 Kudos