IFeatureClass.Update

03-06-2013 01:34 PM
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
I am migrating .NET code from 9.3 to 10.1
The code is using
IFeatureClass.Update(queryfileter, true) where true is for recycling.

I know recycling should not be used when we do update, and actually it was permitted on 9.3 in spite of being undesirable, and it is totally prevented on 10.1

On 10.1 the code is not working, so I assumed it is because of the recycle, and I did change it to false.

And here my first question. If it is not permitted , then why you give it as an option in 10.1 when we open a cursor of update?

Is it possible to use it in 10.1 with recycle being true?

and my second question.
After I changed it to false, I was able to successfully update the features.
It worked for all kind of update.
But it is hanging on one place, where I am selecting more that 100,000 rows at once.

The IFeatureClass.Update is hanging, without doing anything.

I want to ask if any one has any idea on how to do what I am doing on 10.1

P.S, I am maintaining very bad written and messy code, and what I need is just to migrate it to 10.1 with the less modification possible.

Thanks
0 Kudos
15 Replies
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III

I know recycling should not be used when we do update, and actually it was permitted on 9.3 in spite of being undesirable, and it is totally prevented on 10.1

Where did you read that it is prevented in 10.1?  The docs suggest that you do not modify features returned by a recycling cursor.

The recycling parameter controls row object allocation behavior.  Recycling cursors rehydrate a single feature object on each fetch and can be  used to optimize read-only access, for example, when drawing. It is illegal to  maintain a reference on a feature object returned by a recycling cursor across  multiple calls to NextFeature on the cursor. Features returned  by a recycling cursor should not be modified. Non-recycling cursors return a  separate feature object on each fetch. The features returned by a non-recycling  cursor may be modified and stored with polymorphic behavior.

Why give it as an option?  Because ESRI assumes you will use it wisely.

The false parameter means use a non-recycling cursor, which is safe for making updates.  FeatureCursors aren't that fast when you are making updates, especially on 100,000 rows, and especially if you are in a programmatic edit session.  Are you updating attributes or actually updating the geometry of the feature on those 100,000 rows?
0 Kudos
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
Where did you read that it is prevented in 10.1?  The docs suggest that you do not modify features returned by a recycling cursor.

Idonahue. I assume you didn't write a code that is trying to update rows returned by a recyclable cursor in 10.1 yet. Because if you did, you will get an error message.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
What kind of error message would I get?
0 Kudos
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
What kind of error message would I get?

FDO_E_CANNOT_STORE_RECYCLED_ROW_IN_EDIT_SESSION
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Ghassan,

There are many ways to do updates.  Are you using store on the feature or are you calling updatefeature on the featurecursor?  Are you inside an edit session (on the editor extension or on IWorkspaceEdit) or not in an edit session?  If in an edit session are you in an edit operation?  Are you using com release on each feature after the edit is done?  Have you place the featureclasses in load only mode?   Is the data in a enterprise database or a file database?  If in a enterprise database, is the data versioned? You may be running out of memory if you don't release any of the features as you go along.  You could be filling up user allocated space on the database also.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
FDO_E_CANNOT_STORE_RECYCLED_ROW_IN_EDIT_SESSION

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/componenthelp/0025/0025000000mn000000.htm

[TABLE="class: dtTABLE"][TD="class: t"]FDO_E_CANNOT_STORE_RECYCLED_ROW_IN_EDIT_SESSION[/TD]
[TD="class: t, width: 25%, align: left"]-2147219112[/TD]
[TD="class: t, width: 32%, align: left"]Cannot call Store on a recycled row while editing.[/TD]

[/TABLE]

That error matches exactly what the documentation says is illegal to maintain, that I quoted earlier.
0 Kudos
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
That error matches exactly what the documentation says is illegal to maintain, that I quoted earlier.

ok

I am not sure what we are arguing or discussing about.

I know it is illegal.
My question was, why ESRI provides (recyclable option) on update cursor if it is not going to work.
That was my question

Forget about this thread, and thank you for creating all that noise with no answer.

I will create another post
0 Kudos
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
Ghassan,

There are many ways to do updates.  Are you using store on the feature or are you calling updatefeature on the featurecursor?  Are you inside an edit session (on the editor extension or on IWorkspaceEdit) or not in an edit session?  If in an edit session are you in an edit operation?  Are you using com release on each feature after the edit is done?  Have you place the featureclasses in load only mode?   Is the data in a enterprise database or a file database?  If in a enterprise database, is the data versioned? You may be running out of memory if you don't release any of the features as you go along.  You could be filling up user allocated space on the database also.

Thanks agray
Finally someone that is making sense in his answer.
I will look at this options in more details.
maybe I am running out of memory.
The code is not mine, and I was just try to do fast migration to 10.1
but seems I have to read the code
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
ok

I am not sure what we are arguing or discussing about.

I know it is illegal.
My question was, why ESRI provides (recyclable option) on update cursor if it is not going to work.
That was my question

Forget about this thread, and thank you for creating all that noise with no answer.

I will create another post

I didn't know we were arguing.

ESRI provides an API that has a boolean parameter to a method.  Let's talk about how you use it.  If you are not using an edit session, nor calling the store method, but you set the parameter to use recycling, and your record that you are updating is using the updateFeature method on a single feature, would that not update the feature attribute?

Noise is the result of not sharing the error message with us in your first post.  Posting questions that say something hangs and doesn't do anything, then indicating you get errors in a second message, and leaving out that information only allows us to guess at your problems. If I hadn't asked, I don't think you would have posted the error message.
0 Kudos