Address data management add site address point not creating any features

03-05-2013 06:21 AM
Labels (1)
MatthewVance
New Contributor II
I'm interested in using the address data management map that goes with the local government information model and I'm running into an issue.  When using my local data or the sample data I cannot seem to get the add site address point construction tool to create any features.  When I place my point on the centerline and at the address location I double click to finish and then nothing happens.  I'm not sure if this is some error on my part or if there is something not set up right in the application itself.  I'm using ArcEditor 10.1. 

Thank you in advance,

Matt
0 Kudos
9 Replies
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor
Matt,
Are you using 10.0 or 10.1
Do you have both the AddressManagement and Attribute Assistant addin's present in your addin manager? (customize>addin manager)?

-Lindsay
0 Kudos
MatthewVance
New Contributor II
I'm using 10.1.  Yes, I do have both of the add-ins installed.  The feature to add centerlines appears to work properly but I still cannot get the add address site point construction tool to generate any address features.
0 Kudos
JillBeckmann
New Contributor
I am also having this same problem.  It seems that none of the Attribute Assistant or Address Management Add-in tools are working properly. 

I tried to open the config file using the "Show Config Information button" on the Attribute Assistant toolbar, but when I click preview it says "application not found".  When I click "Reload" it says that the config file has be reloaded, but still won't work.  However, I do see a xml file in my profile named "Loaded".  I also tried changing the name of this file to "default".   Lastly, I even tried deleting and re-adding the add-in but this didn't help.  However, I don't think the add-ins were truly uninstalled when I did this, so I probably wasn't doing it correctly.

I don't have admin privileges on my machine, but I wasn't prompted to give them anyway, so I'm not sure why this isn't working.  I am not very savvy with this behind-the-scenes stuff, any ideas of why I am having trouble?  I am specifically trying to use the "Add Site Address Point" Construction Tool.

Thanks,

Jill
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Jill,

I'm not sure which version of the add-ins you are using, but make sure you are using the version that corresponds with your version of ArcGIS for Desktop. You can check your version of the add-ins using the Add-In Manager (Customize > Add-In Manager). PatchFinder can be used to identify exactly  which version of ArcGIS for Desktop you have installed - including service packs.

Add-Ins should be uninstalled using the Add-In Manager. Once you've done this, I suggest you also remove or rename the config file before you reinstall the add-ins. The add-ins are expecting a config file called Loaded.config so renaming this file to something like 'oldLoaded.config' allows you to keep a record of any changes you have made while tricking the add-in into creating a fresh copy of Loaded.config on reinstall.

The addressing tools and the Attribute Assistant share a configuration file. There are 2 ways to access the configuration file. From the Attribute Assistant toolbar click the last icon and then the Open Location button. Alternatively you can navigate directly to the location of the config. The default file paths can be found in the help.

I very strongly recommend you get familiar with how these tools work using the sample data before configuring them to work against your own datasets. Check out the Address Data Management online help for some workflows that should work in the provided editing maps against the provided sample data without any further configuration.

When you start to use the tools with your own data, don't forget to add the Dynamic Value Table to your map document. You may also need to update the Dynamic Value Table to point to the correct layers in your map document, or modify some of the values in the configuration file to point the tools to the correct fields in your datasets.

-Allison
0 Kudos
JillBeckmann
New Contributor
Hi Allison,

Thank you very much for your response.  Check, check, check with all of your recommendations.  I have the correct version of the add-in, I added it in the Add-In Manager.  I have Desktop v10.1 sp1, and address manager for local government v10.1.  Also, when I deleted and the reinstalled the Add-Ins, I did delete (move) the Loaded.config file before doing so. 

I explained above that I tried to access the config file from the AA toolbar, with no success.  I can open it in windows explorer as a .txt file.  Is that how I am supposed to view it?  If so, that makes it quite difficult to change any of it's settings.

Lastly, I did download the sample data, and though I haven't checked to be sure that the tools work with the sample data, I did start with the included .mxd, and re-navigated all the layers and tables to my LocalGovernment.gdb instead of the sample data's LG.gdb, this includes the path for the dynamic value table.  Throughout the entire trial, I have been utilizing the online help - that's how I got this far.   🙂

Something that you mentioned did make me think though.  It seemed mysterious that my dynamic value and generate ID tables were empty, and now I realize it's because they were pointing to my (practically) empty LocalGovernment.gdb.  So, after discovering this, I copied the cooresponding sample data tables from the sample data into my .gdb and checked the names and paths to be sure that they were correct.  I thought this would be the fix.  However, doing so didn't help at all.  I even reloaded my .config file and deleted and reinstalled the add-in, but that didn't help either.  So now, I'm still at loss, but I'm thinking that my problem has something to do with the way I set up my map using this aforementioned method (and maybe also how I set up my LG information model framework).  I suppose this will probably impact not just this tool, but other aspects of the operation of the Local Government Information Model, so it sure would be nice to figure this out!

Thanks again for the help.  🙂

Jill
0 Kudos
JamisonPeevyhouse
New Contributor III
Not to revive an old thread but I am currently having a similar issue as well and this is the only thing I've found related to it.

In my case, I have been using the LGIM 10.1 and 10.2 for about a year and suddenly today my workstation is unable to create features with the site address point tool.

I can create features on a different workstation so it seems to be workstation specific.

Was there any further resolution to this problem?
0 Kudos
JillBeckmann
New Contributor
I did not receive any follow-up advice, but for some reason my tools suddenly started working one day. I'm not sure why, but I haven't had any trouble since then. It's very mysterious.
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III

I have noticed that the Add Site Address Point tool will not finish sketch if <Null> values exist in any of the MasterStreetName table domain fields.  All domain fields without a valid value, or set as <Null> through the drop-down, must be calculated as blank ( "" ) for the tool to work.  If this is a known bug I have not been able to find it in a search of the forums.

In the attached screenshot, I have marked up the examples that work (green check) and the ones that don't (red X).

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Would these Null values cause issues with other LGIM data sets such as roads?

0 Kudos