Cannot maintain editable element of feature service.

02-28-2013 10:09 AM
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I am using a trial version of ArcGIS Online for Organizations and am having problems setting a feature service to remain editable.   Using a zipped shapefile that I uploaded onto ArcGIS.com, I was able to create a feature service so that the symbols are as I want, the pop-up configuration was set, I created aliases, etc.  It was set up as an editable feature service at that time and I did have an Edit button on my toolbar.  Once I saved the web map, however, I can no longer edit that feature service through that web map.  The symbols held through, the aliases stayed, but the Edit button isn't even on my screen when I open the web map again.  If I show the Contents in the TOC, and bring up the tools for the feature service, I don't get the option to Enable Editing or Disable Editing either.  The only way it seems to let me edit the feature service again is to open the feature service directly from My Gallery and select 'Open with full editing control', but then I lost my symbology, aliases, pop-up configuration, etc. and have to do that all over again. 
Isn't there a way to maintain the editing capabilities of the feature service through the web map already created?  I can do that using the free version of ArcGIS Online and add a zipped shapefile through ArcGIS.com.  It doesn't create a feature service, but it still holds the symbology, pop-up configuration, aliases, etc. for the shapefile there and if I set it up as editable, it stays editable every time I open the web map.  What do I need to do differently through ArcGIS Online for Organizations to accomplish this same outcome?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lisa Dygert
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Sounds like editing is disabled on the service itself.

Go to the service item and click the Edit button.
Scroll down to the Editing properties and verify that editing is enabled on the service.
If it's enabled, and it doesn't work, can you share the URL to the item?

If you want your layer properties (symbology, popup) to appear whenever the service is accessed and added to a web map, open the web map that you've created that has the configuration you want. Then, from the context menu of the layer in the Contents, you can "Save Item Properties". This will save the setting for the layer back to the service item. Otherwise, those settings are just for the layer in the current web map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor
The feature service is already set to enable editing.  Even when I go to the location you specified, it says that 'Editors can add, update, and delete featrures'.  If I open the feature service I can make edits, but like I said I have to reset teh symbology, pop-up configuration, etc.  When I open the web map with the same feature service in it, it does not give me the options for editing the feature service and I don't get the editing options (enable editing or disable editing) in the feature service toolbar.

Here is the url for the web map.
https://mdnr.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=2932e1ad3bc44c71be4d269c0d87ffd1
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It looks like the setting displayed in ArcGIS.com may be out of sync with how the service is actually configured. The service itself does not have editing enabled. Can you try going to the item, editing it and disabling editing and save. Then, enable it again and see if that clears things up.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor
I tried that, but for some reason now I cannot re-enable edits.  When I select Disable Editing that seems to be fine, but then when I try to Enable Editing again, that is not there.  Only Disable Editing appears.  I have tried going out (exiting out of ArcGIS Online completely), and go back in again and it still does that.  I am no longer seeing the option to Enable Edits anymore.  I am only seeing Disable Edits, and I see that all the time.
I tried going into the online map afterwards to see if by chance that fixed the problem with not allowing edits, but it didn't.  I still can't seem to get the edit permission to work correctly.
0 Kudos