append data from sde feature class to an other hangs

02-27-2013 09:33 AM
EricLussier
New Contributor III
Hi,

We have a process in vb.net (arcgis 10.1) that is used to delete sde feature class on a oracle db instance
and then append the data from an other database instance.

Many tables are proccessed one after the other. The process starts working properly and then after
processing some tables the process does the delete and starts the append procedure and does nothing.

it hangs there.

The process remains active in task manager, but the cpu is at 0 it may remains like that hours until I decide to
kill it.

Someone has and an idea?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
What happens when you step through your project in debug mode?  do you get an exception?
0 Kudos
DavidRoberts1
New Contributor
I experienced a similar problem when calling the append geoprocessor tool multiple times inside a loop.  Calling append multiple times seemed to work fine on most of my datasets but i noticed if the interval between consecutive append calls was small, the process would hang.  My process involved loading a Shapefile to a File Geodatabase, adding and calculating some fields, appending to an SDE Feature Class, deleting the objects, and repeating multiple times.  Occasionally, the process would hang after the call to append was made.  To solve the issue, I modified the process to load all Shapefiles (25+) to a File Geodatabase and created a semi-colon delimited string of the input FGDB feature classes to pass as an input to the append tool.
0 Kudos