Light Gray Canvas Reference Layer

02-27-2013 04:32 AM
MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III
When I add the Light Gray Canvas as a base map in ArcGIS Online both the Base and the Reference portions of the layer are added beneath all of the other services that I add.  This includes when I use the "Add Layer from Web" function and manually add each of the two services separately the Light Gray Canvas Reference Layer ends up at the bottom of the map above only the Light Gray Canvas Base.

The "Move Up" and "Move Down" options in the "Show Contents of Map" are unavailable for the Light Gray Canvas Reference Layer.

Normally, not in ArcGIS Online, when you add the Light Gray Canvas the Base Layer is added as a Basemap and the Reference Layer is added to the top of the Legend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Michael,

If its a basemap, it will always be at the bottom. I was able to move the reference layer up and down, but it can depend on what content you also have in your map. For example, if you have added a shapefile into the map you cannot display a map service on top of it.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III
Andrew,

Thanks for the help.
I went back in and tried it again and I'm still experiencing the same issue.

I have a map service which I shared as a hosted service with ArcGIS Online.  I would like that map to have the Light Gray Canvas base map with the Light Gray Reference layer on top of my service.

When I add the canvas from the Basemap Gallery I do not see the Light Gray Base and the Reference Layer as separate entities when I use Show Contents of Map.

If I use the ArcGIS Services Directory to add the Light Gray Canvas as a base map and then separately add the Reference layer, the Reference Layer is added directly above the base map and I am unable to move it above my service.

Any help further help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, you can't order layers any way you want. Some layers are drawn as graphics by the browser, so they're always on top. Map Notes, shapefiles and CSVs added to the map, feature services all get drawn by the browser and will display over map services and wms services. You can order all the 'graphic layers' within the group of layers drawn by the browser and order the map services within the group of map services.

Here's the full thread.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/74070-Ability-to-move-items-in-map-contents.....?p=260309&viewfull=...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos