Compulsory Fields?

02-26-2013 07:03 PM
PeterTimmers
Occasional Contributor III
ArcGIS Mobile has this problem also.

What happens to fields that don't allow null?

I know with Mobile 10.1.1 if it's a field with a domain then you will have to choose a value, but if it's free text you don't appear to need to enter anything (bug?).   It's not clear what Collector is doing.

A few more bugs/issues while we're at it.

* User tracking still appears as an option when adding a point on my collector - I've added it to the web map and now it appears when I go to add a new point.
* Photo rotation - attachments.  We're actually testing Collector on iPads - x2 and Collector will only work in portrait.  If you take a photo turn your ipad sideways your photo comes through looking ok in collector but is rotated back in arcgis.com.

We're generally enjoying the experience using it here though.   Shame it can't work more offline 🙂

Peter
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks for the feedback Peter. Just a couple comments below to some of the issues/limitations you reported.

• Currently the Collector does not support "not a null field"

• The tracking layer will show up in the "Collect a Feature" pick list when he layer is set to visible. This is a known limitation but we are working towards improving this experience.

• The rotation you see on AGOL can be a browser limitation. I have noticed different browsers not honoring image orientation that are posted by an iOS device. Are you using IE?

• Offline is on our radar and will be coming in a future release.

Thanks again for the feedback

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russ,

Any update on the support of Not a Null Value in Collector fields?

Francis.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

there have not been any changes to Not a Null value. When you create a service with allow null values = false the template generate has " " (space) or 0 inserted into the template as default values during the publishing of the layer. Adding required field support for collector is coming to the platform but is not included into the recent update 10.3.1

PeteCrosier

Thanks for the template clue Russell. I've realised I can stop Collector starting with a space for a non-nullable text field by changing the template in AGOL - e.g  "FIELD" : " " becomes "FIELD" : "" - and this gives me the behaviour I want, users have to input something! Do you know of any problems with this approach?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't know of any issues with this approach but cannot guarantee you wont see issues if you start playing around with other field types, domains or subtypes.

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Peter,

Can't comment on the compulsory field in ArcGIS mobile right now but will check this for you. As for the image rotation this seems to be inherent to all iOS apps. When I demo both Collector and ArcGIS for iOS image appears correct on the iPAD but rotated when I show the results through flex viewer. I think the iPAD is accommodating the rotation but flex viewer / web browser does not read the rotation tag on the stored image.

Cheers
Gordon
0 Kudos
PeterTimmers

• The rotated (or rather non-rotated) image was in Chrome.

• Compulsory fields will probably be necessary.

The ease of deployment for both ArcGIS Mobile and Collector at the same time is making my life a bit easier.   Gives us options.
0 Kudos