Applying custom symbols to a Hosted Map Service

02-11-2013 10:59 AM
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
So I know I can apply custom symbols in ArcMap before publishing a hosted feature service or individually change symbols in the ArcGIS viewer by importing a symbol from url but I was hoping there was some way to quickly add unique symbols to all attributes much like how importing a layer package in ArcMap works.  I know there is a way to have an empty feature service with all the symbology there but I was hoping for something similar but for new features added directly on ArcGIS.com.   Basically if I have a shp file with say 15 point features that I want a unique symbol that shows a push-pin that has actual number labels on them (1 thru 15)  If I click "Add Item" and select the shp file and have the option to use an existing feature service's symbology or attach a layer package for symbology.  Thus it wouldn't show the default orange points but rather the symbology I selected.  Maybe there is another way to currently do something like this now?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No, there is nothing like what you ask for... It would get tricky as well, because you're mixing map service symbology and feature service symbology. Feature services support a much smaller set of symbols (as compared to map services) because the client app is doing the drawing, not the server. So all of the complex cartographic symbols of the server are not supported.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry for the confusion on my question but I didn't mean to say or imply that there would be any desire to mix map and feature service symbology.  I meant to only refer to feature services, so I updated my question.  Does that change your answer at all?  Also, I don't have any desire to have any fancy symbols, basically some symbol ones that show either a single letter or number.  There is already a few that show letters available in the ArcGIS viewer but none with simple numbers. Seems like this is a pretty common request, I see several separate requests but very much related ones on the ideas site.