aimee.roach

geostatistical interpolation questions

Discussion created by aimee.roach on Feb 10, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 by EKrause-esristaff
Hello all,

I'm new to geostatistical analyst and am trying to use the method of kriging for an academic project. I was wondering if anyone might be able to guide me on how to use the geostatistical analyst for the data that I have.

I have water potential and stomatal conductance data from 10 plants at 3 different sites in the Mojave. This data was taken on 5 different days over the course of two months following the addition of a pulse of water. I would like to take this data and spatially interpolate the water potential values and stomatal conductance values for each sample day to get a series of predictive and progressive surfaces. I know the sample size is pretty small and the prediction is going to be made over a very small scale as well.

I've made some preliminary attempts at analyzing this data already. I found the kriging to be rather complicated in terms of determining all the proper settings, and the model was not coming out as I expected that it should (perhaps due to small sample size?). I also tried local polynomial interpolation (LPI) and the deterministic method of spline with barriers. The LPI method seems to go along more with what I might expect to see from my data, but I'm not sure what the best method is to use.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Outcomes