Determine Service Author and Publishing Date

02-09-2013 03:03 PM
AmySmith3
New Contributor
Hello!

I'm interested in best practices for managing services published throughout my company. One of the ideas our ArcGIS for Server team has been discussing is defining a service "lifespan". The basic idea is that services would be automatically deleted after a set period of time unless the service author takes some sort of action. The author would be notified in advance when their service is reaching its expiration date. What I'd like to know is whether or not there is a way to determine who has authored a service and when it was published, so that the automated expiration warning is sent to the appropriate user. Does anyone happen to know if service author information is readily made available when a service is published? If so, how can it be accessed? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Amy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
The information that is available can be seen in the ArcGIS Server Admin API:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/server-admin-api/service.html

It does not appear to me that the information you seek is present.

One thing that you could do is to implement a trivial Server Object Extension which can simply be used to capture whatever information you needed.  In essence it simply becomes a way of associating a set of name/value pairs to a service.  The actual Server Object Extension would do nothing.
0 Kudos