mbalxnder

Issue with License Manager Alias

Discussion created by mbalxnder on Feb 4, 2013
We just moved our License Manager for 10.0 to a new Server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, SP1, 64-bit). There are only ~4 personnel hitting the license manager and testing it right now, as we are using an Alias rather than the actual server name.

All appeared to be working great for the last two - three weeks until one of the users tried to do an Import (Feature to Feature) in an SDE database. When he used the Alias on his local machine, the dialog box for the tool would freeze and not show the input/output options. When he switched back over to the server name, the tool would work.

I reviewed this problem and I tested the scenario on two other machines, using both the Alias and the Server Name.

Server 1: Alias, Service Pack 5, Successful
Server 1: ServerName, Service Pack 5, Successful
Local Machine 1: Alias, Service Pack 5, UnsuccessfulLocal Machine 1: ServerName, Service Pack 5, Succcessful
Local Machine 2: Alias, Service Pack 5, Successful
Local Machine 2: ServerName, Service Pack 5, Successful
(I will note also, that it works with SP4, as I ended up upgrading my machine to 5 in the process).

When the user tried to switch back to the Alias today, he was able to access all the tools and perform the process mentioned above without any issue.

Has anyone experienced any issues, discrepancies, bugs, etc. using an Alias for the License Manager?

Any input would be appreciated. Note: This post has also been submitted to the Install & Configuration Forum

Outcomes