AttributeInspector with customField is not working correctly

Jump to solution
02-01-2013 07:06 AM
DianaBenedict
Occasional Contributor III
Problem:
Require the AttributeInspector to display number values without commas.  For example a number value looks as so with the "out of the box" TextBox (11,245) however I need them to look like ID values with NO commas (11245).

Solution:
Create a custom dijit NumberTextbox, set the pattern to display numbers with no commas and set the fieldInfo customField property for the desired attribute field.

Issue:
At first it appears as though the customField that was specified for the desired field displays correctly (no commas). However, after several times of displaying the attributeInspector, the link between the data and customField gets lost and the data for the customField is no longer displayed.

Background:
The following is the constructor for the AttributeInsector:  esri.dijit.AttributeInspector(params, srcNodeRef)
The params input allows you to specify a set of Options including layerInfos. 
Within the layerInfos options, you can specify the fieldInfos of interest for each featureLayer.
Within the fieldInfos options, you can specify field information such as name, label, isEditable, etc...
There is an additiona fieldInfos option called customField.  This option allows you to specify a custom dojo dijit for the selected field.
I essentially followed the similar example as posted on the esri samples page http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/jssamples/#sample/ed_attributeinspectorvalidate

The steps that I followed are:
1) instantiate the FeatureLayer
2) after "onLayersAddResult" I call the initializeEditor code
3) within the initializeEditor method I create the custom digit (see code below)
4) create the fieldInfos array
5) set up the layerInfos and passing in the fieldInfos
6) instantiate the attributeInspector object and passing in the layerInfos

At first everything looked great.  The AttributeInspector is configured as I indicated. 
The customField that I created looks great.
The number/text within the custom dijit NumberTextbox is formated to my specifications, etc... 
However, once I close the AttributeInspector and open it again, the customField is no longer visible. 
There is no height .. it just looks like a line. So I figured that I would go ahead and add some CSS to fix the issue, initially I added the class: "atiField" option so that the NumberTextbox renders like all the other textboxes. Then I did a quick "hack" by specifying the following CSS

.esriAttributeInspector .dijitNumberTextBox { width:30em;height:5em;}

This was done to force the NumberTextBox to have a height but there was no data.

I seems to me like at some point the link between the data and the customField gets "lost". 
All the other fields that are NOT custom look great .. no problems.
I have tried different ways to force the refresh of the customField and attributeInspector but have had the same results. 
I even tried the AMD method of creating the dijit ... nothing.

If I refresh the entire application, and display the AttributeInspector, all looks great again. 
But once the AttributeInspector is closed and opened again with new data I get the same issue.

Does anyone have suggestions on what could be causing this? Has anyone encountered a similar issue?
Currently the only solution that I can find is to DESTROY the AttributeInspector
each time it is closed and create it again .. though I think this is very "heavy handed" and would prefer not to have to do this.

Below is the pertinent code that I used to set up the fieldInfos for the AttributeInspector:

var fieldInfos = [];     var props = {       class: "atiField",       constraints: { 'pattern': "#", 'places':0, 'max':999999999999999, 'min':0 }     };          fieldInfos.push({ 'fieldName': 'GAZ_ID',               'isEditable': true,               'label': 'GAZ ID',               'customField': new dijit.form.NumberTextBox(props)}           );     fieldInfos.push({ 'fieldName': 'NAME', 'isEditable': true, 'label': 'Name' });      var layerInfos = { 'featureLayer': flayer,         'fieldInfos': fieldInfos,         'isEditable': true,         'showDeleteButton': true }          //set up the attribute inspector     var attInspector = new esri.dijit.AttributeInspector({       layerInfos: layerInfos     }, "attributeDiv"); 
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Diana,

I was able to reproduce this problem and submitted a bug for this behavior. I'll reply back to this thread with the bug number once I have a public link for the bug.

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DianaBenedict
Has anyone worked with attempting to customize the fields in the AttributeInspector?  All I need is to format the number value for integer ID fields.  By default the AttributeInspector formats any integer values with commas  This does not work for us since the users are not accustomed to viewing ID values as comma seperated integer values. 

It seems to me like there is an issue with maintaining a constant display of the values when implementing the customField using a dijit textbox (as described in the original post).  Since my last post I have attempted to get this to work consistently and have had NO success. 

In an attempt to provide you more information I am attaching some screen shots.

AttributeInspector_Default.png
The defualt state of the attributeInspector if I do not set a custom field. Note the following:
1) GAZ_ID and FCode fields are inteteger fields in the database. These are the ID values and I would like to format without commas
2) I set the GAZ_ID field as not editable in the FieldInfos
fieldInfos.push({ 'fieldName': 'GAZ_ID', 'isEditable': false, 'label': 'GAZ ID'});

AttributeInspector_SetCustomField_Good.png
This how the AttributeInspector looks like when I set a customField as described in the post above using a new dijit.form.NumberTextBox and passing in the pattern/formatting.  Note the following:
1) The ID fields mentioned above display correctly (without commas)
2) looks like something is "wrong" with the setting of the customField because I have indicated that the GAZ_ID field is not editable, YET the input box allows editing .. it is not greyed out (I have tried both editable and not just incase).
3) After closing the UI and opening again, I loose the link between the data and the customFields (see below).

AttributeInspector_SetCustomField_Bad.png
This is how the AttributeInspector looks like after I close it and open it again for the second time (or anytime after).  Note the following:
1) The ID fields mentioned above no longer have any data displayed
2) I have reviewed the objects and have confirmed that the data is still there (graphic.attributes.GAZ_ID and graphic.attributes.FCODE)
3) I thought that there was an issue with CSS so I forced a height on the custom dijit and I confirmed that there was no data being displayed
4) I must close the entire applicaiton and open it again in order to view the attributes again.

ESRI/Others, have you seen similar results? If not, can someone please point me in the correct direction on how to format an integer value in the AttributeInspector?  I am aware that the PopupTemplate has the .format option for the fieldInfos but the AttributeInspector is lacking this option.  However I am assuming that is why they have exposed the .customField option.  Is this a bug or just some formatting/properties that I am missing?

Any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
Sorry, but I had to add a reply to this thread so it can be promoted back to the top. 

If this issue is not resolved, I will not be able to use the AttributeInspector and will need to develop our own custom form.  I have already customized the interface (by adding the attribute inspector to a TabContainer within a floating Pane and adding additional controls to the UI) but I was hoping to leverage some of the built in functionality available with the AttributeInspector.  Diplaying integer ID fields with comma seperated text is not acceptable to our users so I need to find a solution and currently I have exhausted all my options...so I look to you for help.
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Diana,

Do you see this issue happening with the sample that uses the custom validation box? If not can you modify the sample to match your scenario? Having a simple test app to work with will make it easier to test and debug this issue.

Kelly
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
Kelly

Thank you for your response. I just looked at the attribute inspector sample

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/samples/ed_attributeInspectorValidate/index.html

And and it looks like I was able to reproduce a similar display issue with the customField (hone) in the AttributeInspector window.  I did the following:
1) created a new notes - did this a couple of times
2) added attributes for the new record (btw: I noticed that the data field is empty when you first create a record, but is present when you display the attributes anytime after it is initially created)
3) selected  an existing note and edited the values
4) closed the window and did the same for other notes
5) added a new note
6) eventually I get the display issue

I have attached 2 screen shots to show you my issue. I did the tests above using IE 9 on a windows 7 desktop. 

I went ahead and did similar tests in Firefox and it looks like I am unable to reproduce this issue. Also noticed that the field that has the following property set (STRING_FIELD_OPTION_TEXTAREA) displays slightly different between IE and Firefox. In firefox, you get a resize handle (nice) but noy in IE (interesting).

OK, so I just went back and looked at my results and it looks like I ONLY see this display issue with IE 9.  However, in both cases, the isEditable flag is NOT honored if I set a customField.

Thanks for looking into this issue and for any help you can provide.
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
Hello all, sorry to keep replying to this post but I was really hoping that I can find a solution to this issue.  It seems to me like something is not set up correctly since customFields do not appear to honor the isEditable flag therefore not disabling the control as well as all the other issues I have posted above. 

Any help and or guidance is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Hi Diana,

I was able to reproduce this problem and submitted a bug for this behavior. I'll reply back to this thread with the bug number once I have a public link for the bug.

Kelly
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
Hi Diana,

Kelly

Thank you so much for looking into this issue Kelly.  You have saved me a lot of time.
0 Kudos
DianaBenedict
I was wondering if ESRI has fixed this bug? Do we have a bug report number on it?

I would like to implement using the numberTextBox in the attribute inspector as a customField but the read-only/disabled property is completely ignored and users get the impression that they are able to make edits to this field.
0 Kudos
ArthurAbbie
New Contributor II
Hi,

Has anyone solved this yet? Diana? 

I am having the same problem using api v3.5 ValidationTextBox (plus am unable to control whether the box is editable or not)...

Thanks,
Arth.
0 Kudos