Workflows with common steps

01-31-2013 04:12 PM
mareew
by
New Contributor
We are in the process of setting up our WMX for the first time.  We have about 18 different products that we produce, and all of these require the same starting and finishing steps, with only a number of steps in the middle being different.  At the moment, the only way I can see to do this is to duplicate the steps in each workflow (inefficient!), but I was hoping there might be an alternative. 

For example:

Workflow 1:
Step 1 - Step 2 - Step 3 - Step 4 - Step A - Step B - Step C - Step 5 - Step 6
Workflow 2:
Step 1 - Step 2 - Step 3 - Step 4 - Step D - Step E - Step F - Step 5 - Step 6

The other query we have is about setting up parent/child jobs.  We send work out to contractors in batches, with one tender for the batch.  I was thinking that we should set up the parent job as the tender (recording the financial details here), with child jobs for each of the products underneath, recording the QA etc in each of the child jobs separately.  Is that a good way to approach it?

We are currently on ArcGIS 10.0 SP5, so would appreciate advice on this version, but also if there are new things in 10.1 that would make life easier, we'd appreciate knowing that too.  (Might help with a business case to move to 10.1!)

Many thanks.
Maree
0 Kudos
0 Replies