Layer Names in AGO Web Maps

01-30-2013 09:45 AM
DavidSmetana1
New Contributor
Hi folks,

Using Desktop 10.1 I've published several feature services in AGO.  I then created a web map, saved the feature services to web map and saved.  When I access the web map via browser or mobile device, the map legend labels the layers in the following format:

Original MXD Name - MXD TOC Layer Name, then below that provides the colored square and lists the MXD TOC Layer Name again.

In effect, this presents the browser and mobile user with a map legend that repeats the Layer name 3 times for each feature service (in this case I created one mxd per feature service).

I tried leaving the MXD TOC Layer name blank, but during the Publish to AGO wizard I was prompted to add a Layer Name.  I can edit the MXD Name in the properties of the Feature Service once in AGO, but AGO web maps still combine the Feature Service Name with the TOC Layer Name, then list that same TOC Layer Name again next to the fill symbol, so at a minimum there is still a duplication of the TOC Layer name in AGO the web map legend.

So how can we eliminate duplicate TOC naming?

Thanks,
Dave
Tags (2)
3 Replies
PtomHarner
New Contributor III
I'm having this same problem - is anyone, or has anyone else found a solution?
0 Kudos
DavidSmetana1
New Contributor
Update! 

First, I discovered in the process of configuring a web map in ArcGIS Online, you can go to the layer and rename it.  After you load a layer to a web map, click the arrow to expand the list of configuration options.  The Rename option is about halfway down.  This allows you to name the layer and save that name in the web map.  In the browser this solves the duplication issue.  However, the duplication is still read by the ArcGIS for iOS app, so this doesn't fix the issue entirely.

This week at the FedUC I spoke to several ArcGIS Online and Mobile Esri staff.  They acknowledged that the duplication is an issue.  I demonstrated to them how the web map doesn't show duplicate service/layer names in the legend, but the ArcGIS app does when reading that same web map.  This is what you want if you have multiple symbologies in a single service, but it doesn't work when your service has only one layer or a single symbol type.

Esri staff understood the issue and confirmed that my approach (creating separate services for each layer, rather than combining them in one service) is the right approach, and that the difference in functionality between browser and app view should be rectified.  When that might occur is unknown at this point, but I've submitted the issue to the smartphone/tablet team.  The only workaround offered would be to try and create slightly different map service and symbology labels so that from the app they combine to inform rather than confuse.  But that will not be possible for every layer or web map composition.
0 Kudos
MuhammadKattan
New Contributor

I think now they add an option for Rename the layer. If you click on the three dots to the right of layer it's the fourth option down.

0 Kudos