10.0 toolbar (from 9.2 code) install succsful; Enable 4 non-admin users.

01-29-2013 12:16 PM
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
dear Readers,
i had migrated a 9.2 sp5 toolbar to arcgis 10.0 using methodologies indicated in esri's website.  re-compile and re-adjustment of libraries allowed me to completely test the toolbar and its functions on my dev machine.  each time,  i had to start visual studio 2010, i ran it as an administrator during the dev process.
the project was set with following hi-level options:
1. vb.net 2010
2. arc objects 10.0 (not 10.1)
3. framework = .net 3.5
4. target cpu = x86 (not any)
5. windows 7 OS (64 bit)
i was able to debug the app on my machine and test the functions that were already working in 9.2 sp5 version  of the tool. 
i saw that we had to change the installer.vb file (in my proj, it was old style 9.2 already part of the toolbar proj).  then i changed the custom action conditions /arg1="[ProgramFiles]...\MyProject.dll" for both install and uninstall.  
after making all the above mentioned changes, i ran .msi file on my workstation as an admin.  the installer works fine on my workstation  - both installation and the toolbar automatically showing up.  i sent the .msi file to my colleague in another state and requested her to test it.  she is not an admin and had to request ITS staff to install it for her.  after a successful installation by the ITS staff as an admin user, she tried to add the toolbar from .tlb and expected her to be admin.

QUESTIONS:
1. http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/13040-toolbar-not-listed-after-install?highlight=toolbar Is DonDuncan's methodology the suggested way to install the toolbar. 
2. will not the toolbar show up automatically after installation as it did in the 9.2 / XP world for all users?
3. if the admin user enables toolbar 1 time and selects all users during installation, will it be available to non-admin users?
thank you for your time.
regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
I also wanted to add that this toolbar is supposed to be deployed by a script like microsoft updates in a large enterprise environment - and since the msi is getting installed correctly (per esri's web site guidance), the next step of making it available for end users needs to
be addressed.

the main concern is how will the admin user (only ITS support staff in remote offices) make this toolbar available to non-admin user who is desired audience of this toolbar.  should they have to log into each machine and start ArcMap as administrator and then add this toolbar?

need directions on enabling the toolbar.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos