Need some advice...

01-29-2013 06:04 AM
SamuelHenderson
New Contributor II
Firstly, sorry for the vague title. I didn't want to make it too specific and scare off any potential viewers 🙂

What I need advice on is the best way to have an ASP.Net WebApplication write a new feature into a featureclass stored on our SDE server.

I understand that that referencing the ArcObject assemblies directly from the ASP.net website is a violation of the ESRI license?  I got that from this post: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1170&t=196080#584057

I've thought about having a Windows WCF Service running and listening to requests from the ASP.Net website and then pass the information off to an ArcPy script that would insert the feature, but to me this seems kind of messy and that there must be a better way.

I'm thinking ArcServer is probably my best bet ... But I know next to nothing about ArcServer.  All the examples I find are talking about map controls and stuff that I won't need at all.  All I need to do is take information entered by the user and then insert it into a featureclass.

What should I do?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
This might be in violation of your RDBMS license also if you user a commercial database such as oracle or sql server.  ArcGIS server allows you to expose Geoprocessing services that could publish your arcpy script to a web service...  Seems like a lot of licensing costs and/or liability to do probably something very simple.
0 Kudos
SamuelHenderson
New Contributor II
Thanks for the reply agray1 🙂

SQL Server licensing and ESRI licenses are not a problem.  The organization I work has full licenses for SQL Server 2008, ArcGIS/ArcServer etc etc. 

Would that be the best approach then?  Create and expose a geoprocessing service that I access from my ASP.Net webpage?  I don't have any ArcPy script written and I don't relish making one.  I'm more comfortable in .Net 🙂

I also don't know anything about exposing geoprocessing services (I know that my organization has done it for other projects, but I have to research how to do it for myself)  Is there a good tutorial I should read on setting up a geoprocessing service to edit a featureclass?
0 Kudos