Issues using metacharacters in Regular Expression check

01-28-2013 07:54 AM
KatieMcHugh1
New Contributor
Hi,

I am trying to create regular expressions using metacharacters, but either I am doing something wrong or something isn't working.
My understanding is that the results of a regular expression check will produce the records where the regular expression is not
matched.

As an example of what I am doing:  I have a test feature class with a field that has 16 of the same value (ACEC), 2 of another
(Inholding) and 2 nulls. I think that using the expression ^[AC] should produce the records that do not begin with "AC".  Thus,
there should be 4 records in the results (the 2 "Inholding" and 2 nulls).  Instead the check results show all 20 records.

I have tried this with a variety of metacharacters, and have had no luck with any.  Is there something that I am not doing
correctly, or am I misunderstanding how to use these characters in a regular expression query?

Thank you,
katie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Hi Katie,

Please construct the following regular expression:

AC[A-Za-z]*

What happens?

Regards,
Dan
0 Kudos
TuanVu_Huu
New Contributor II

Dear Dan,

I am Tuan from Esri Vietnam.

I am help customer in vietnam to build table check and I using Regular Expression check. I have try to check value field name of map sheet as like this : 6636-V-DN

And I have try expression as :  

([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-\[A-Z]-\[A-Z][A-Z])

But it is not return the error. 

Moreover, when I have set some expression for other field it is work but it not check for NULL or Space value?

Please help!

Many thank in advance!

Vu Tuan

0 Kudos
KatieMcHugh1
New Contributor
Hi Dan,

Sorry for my delayed response, I've been out for a few days.  That did what I wanted.  Is there any chance you could deconstruct
that for me so I understand how each of the characters are functioning?

Cheers,
katie
0 Kudos