No results from an Organization map by Add > Search for layers > In ArcGIS Online

01-28-2013 07:49 AM
MDTMontana
New Contributor III
When viewing an existing map from an organizational page you do not get any results from a search for layers in ArcGIS.com that are not in your organization if you are not logged in. I am able to get search results in every other way.

When searching for layers in ArcGIS.com that exist outside organization (i.e., esri  World Transportation)

1. No Results

2. a. Viewing an Org Map (with org address)??? Not Logged in
    [INDENT]i. Don???t have the option to choose[/INDENT]
  3. Results

4. a. Viewing an Org Map (with org address)??? Logged into Organizational account
    [INDENT]i. You have the option to choose[/INDENT]
    b. Viewing any Map without org address??? Not Logged in
    c. Viewing any Map without org address??? Not Logged in
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
That appears to be a bug. However, what is the use case you want to provide here? If you are not a member of the organization, why would you be adding layers to an organization's map? If you are a member of the organization, you'd probably sign in anyway.

Also, if the organization is configured to not allow searches outside the organization, I suppose we'd have to restrict this behavior anyway.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MDTMontana
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response Mike,
A user accessing any map from an organizational page and not having the option to add other layers to the map is very limiting to the user. I would not see very many cases where the user would not want at least the option to add layers to the map. I would think that quite a few organizations point users directly to their organizational page for featured web maps, we certainly do.
Sounds like this is just a bug and can hopefully be fixed in a future release.
Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos