Curious delay after move from v2.8 to 3.3

Jump to solution
01-25-2013 09:50 AM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I've been developing under the 2.8 API and my app has loaded immediately but, under the 3.3 API, it's exhibiting a weird lag time.

One of my featureLayers is constructed on the fly using a FeatureCollection. Using some well placed console.log commands, I can see that the code is, in fact, running immediately (including processing the deferred results which are used to construct the featureCollection).

The problem is that those features are NOT visible or clickable for another 4 minutes! After that 4 minutes, the features suddenly appear and everything is fine. There's no error to speak of in the console and, again, it runs fine in v2.8

We're using ArcGIS Server 10.1. This app is currently running on an internal, developmental server but I'm hoping to push a public version soon (I have some other issues I need help with).

Has anyone else experienced weirdness like this with the 3.3 API?

Steve
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I noticed your app updates every 5 minutes.  This seems coincidentally close to your lag time, so i am wondering if it is not drawing the first time, but draws on refresh.

any chance of altering the refresh time to 1 minute and seeing if the lag changes accordingly? If it does, then just add a refresh right after the layer loads

If it doesnt, well, at least you ruled it out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor
Haven't noticed any behavior like this in the API. I know that your app isn't public yet but can you repro using a test app and sample services?

Kelly
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping to be able to provide a link to the live app within about 2 weeks once we upgrade our production server to 10.1.

Regarding your question..I don't know. I've tried some of the ESRI samples that use JSONP and they all seem responsive. I'll have to see if I can create one on my end. I may have something that could fit your description but I'll need to combine bits of code to get a final test. If not, I'll update this thread with the link to my live version once we upgrade our server.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
As an update, my own stripped down test app does not exhibit the lag time behavior I originally described. Looks like I'll need to provide a link to the actual app. I'll do so ASAP, but that probably will be in 2 weeks.
0 Kudos
KenDeeds
New Contributor III
Our you changing zooming or extent?  I ran into this problem and had to change the variables that control how long it takes to zoom or change extent.  Once I shortened those my other layers came in on time.  Not sure if related but tossing it out there, took me a couple days of button pushing to figure it out.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
Hi Ken,

No- this lag occurs at the initial page load. I can still pan/zoom and interact with my other layers; it's just that this one featureLayer won't appear for 4 minutes. After it finally does appear, everything functions normally.
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
Ok, we finally have a live version of our app for you to see the lag that I've been describing:

http://gismaps.snoco.org/fws/
0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum
I noticed your app updates every 5 minutes.  This seems coincidentally close to your lag time, so i am wondering if it is not drawing the first time, but draws on refresh.

any chance of altering the refresh time to 1 minute and seeing if the lag changes accordingly? If it does, then just add a refresh right after the layer loads

If it doesnt, well, at least you ruled it out.
0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
I wonder if it might have something to do with the charts that load in your popup for that layer? 

Ken
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor
I can tell you that neither of these things were issues with this under v2.8 of the API. I'll try to produce a version using the 2.8 API for comparison.
0 Kudos