RockvilleGIS

Reverse proxy migration from AGS 10.0 to 10.1

Discussion created by RockvilleGIS on Jan 23, 2013
I am preparing to upgrade my GIS server from AGS 10.0 to 10.1 and I am a bit perplexed about what I need to do regarding migration of the reverse proxy configuration.

For my 10.0 install I have a reverse proxy web server in the DMZ which runs IIS 7.0 with ARR, configured according to Article 35894 (http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/35894).  Along with this, and in line with that article, the GIS server has special virtual directories proxyoutput, proxycache, and proxyjobs under the arcgisserver directory. These directories are added to the AGS configuration and are then applied in the properties of the map services.  Then, in the IIS on the reverse proxy box, those directories are added to the set of rewrite rules.

For AGS 10.1, a new article 40680 has been posted (http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40680) for setting up a reverse proxy, and it differs considerably from the corresponding configuration for 10.0 and earlier.  For one thing, there are no alternate proxy directories, and then there is only one rewrite rule.  Also, some of the variable names are not clear as to what values I should use. 

My questions relating to Article 40680 are:

* Why are the alternate proxy directories not required or advocated?  Any reason to not keep using them as before?
* What exactly does the one rewrite rule do?
* In Step 1, what does WAPATH refer to and where it is used in the configuration?
* In Step 4, what is supposed to be value of WEBADAPTORURL?
* In Step 5, what does the WebContextURL property do (and where does it go if I want to review and edit it?)
* In Step 5, it is not clear what I am supposed to put in place of WAHOST.ESRI.COM/WEBADAPTORPATH

If it matters at all to this, my plan is to put the Web Adaptor on the inside GIS server, not on the reverse proxy server.

Finally, and I'm not sure how this may influence the configuration, I have only one GIS server to provide both internal and public services.  As I don't want to expose my internal services publicly, I have configured the rewrite rules in the reverse proxy IIS not to expose the entire REST directory, but rather I have made rewrite rules for specific services which need public access.  So, this is one reason I think I need to know more about the one rewrite rule in the article 40680.

Oh, yeah, I don't have another server to test this on.

Thanks,
Marc

Outcomes