esri + dojo src

01-17-2013 01:25 AM
MatthewPilgrim
New Contributor III
Hi,
I have couple of questions about developing a large JS app.  They relate to the build process:

• What specific version of dojo does esri JS api 3.3 use, "1.8" is a bit vague.

• The current release of Dojo is 1.8.3, does anyone know where a change log exists that details what happened since 1.8.0?

• When esri build the api (full version) do they ONLY include the 'bits' of dojo they use?

• If so then is there a procedure I can use to build my app that includes the dodo modules that my code needs ON TOP of whats already in the esri api?

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to structure my src code files for esri\dojo\myapp and setup myapp to allow easy development\debugging and then building of an optimised application.

Thanks for your help, Matt
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor
Well, 3.3 uses straight 1.8.0
You can check in Chrome/Firefox console
dojo.version
Object
flag: ""
major: 1
minor: 8
patch: 0
revision: 29458

I have not seen a changelog for patches, you may want to ask over at the dojo community board on that one. You can check commit logs on github, but not really useful in this case.

Esri includes full dojo/dijit/dojox/dgrid in their builds, so you should be good there.

You shouldn't need to include anything extra from in your build unless maybe you have a need for something that may have been fixed in a patch update. I have never had much luck with dojo build tools and the esri api, but apparently others have had better luck than myself.
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004Rx9&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D09a300000004x...
I hope to pick his brain at Dev Summit this year about this subject.
0 Kudos
JimSomerville
New Contributor II
Rene, in that link, it looks like they are building off a 2nd, local copy of Dojo.  Not sure, though.

Matthew, I have found Rene's blog posts to be quite informative in structuring a JavaScript application.  The big challenge is the ArcGIS API automatically including a built version of Dojo (layer file).  A "source code"- unbuilt- version of the API would be extremely helpful for debugging and building.  Certifying the API to be compatible with a range of Dojo versions (a la how jQuery UI does with jQuery), instead of automatically including a specific version would be a big plus as well.
0 Kudos