Uploading Thumbnails work half the time

01-16-2013 10:05 AM
JessePearson
New Contributor III
In AGO I am trying to upload a thumbnail for a new map image and after saving AGO keeps saying 'Please Wait'. I'm not sure what is taking so long as the image is under 100k. I already reduced the size of the picture down to 200 x 133. I have tried uploading all 3 suggested types (jpeg, gif & png) with no success.  This has worked for me last week but nothing seems to be uploading this week.
Anybody else finding this a little flaky.
thanks,
Jesse
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
BrettGreenfield__DNR_
Occasional Contributor II
I've never really tried uploading thumbnails, but I've experienced a number of occasions where simple processes take forever to finish.  Earlier today I was simply trying to save a map, and the window "Saving map to My Content..." appeared and never went away.  Sometimes publishing a feature service will take 45 minutes (the shapefile itself will upload quickly, but the feature service won't be generated for quite some time).  It's quite annoying.
0 Kudos
ElizabethDonahue
New Contributor III
This seems to be a recent problem - maybe in the last few weeks. Before that, I could save a thumbnail and other edits quickly.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I am not seeing any issue here.

What browser and version are you using?
What type of item are you trying to change the thumbnail of?
What type of account are you using: personal or part of an organization?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ElizabethDonahue
New Contributor III
What browser and version are you using?
     Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.52 m
I also tried to upload a thumbnail in Firefox 4.0.1 and Windows internet Explorer 8 - neither worked.

What type of item are you trying to change the thumbnail of?
  Map

What type of account are you using: personal or part of an organization?
  Personal

Thanks,

Beth
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I have exactly the same version. Can you try agressively clearing your browser cache and see if that helps?

Mike
0 Kudos
ElizabethDonahue
New Contributor III
Mike,

I cleared my cache in both Internet Explorer and Chrome and when I try to upload a thumbnail and save the edits it just shows "Please wait..."

My map is 23KB so I thought the size was the problem, but when I edit a thumbnail for a 3KB map I still get "Please wait..."

Thanks,

Beth
0 Kudos
MelissaSathe
New Contributor
We're also having the same problem in uploading our thumbnail.  The picture fits within the suggested 200 x 133 and is only 4.6KB.  We've followed all the above advice, tried it on 3 browsers on 5 different computers and still can't get it to work .  This issue is the last step in completing a project for work so we need a solution!  Please help!
0 Kudos
JamesAshton
New Contributor III
I can confirm we are experiencing this too - and have on most webmaps since the December update update. It is not only a thumbnail issue but also just updating inteminfo (description etc)

James
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I'd like to get a little more information about the error that you are reporting.

What kind of data is in your web map? Is it a hosted feature service, or a shapefile added directly into the web map?
Are you using an Organizational account?
What type of symbology is being used in your web map?

If anyone has a specific web map that they would like to share, please feel free to message me the URL.

Thanks,

Kelly
0 Kudos