simpsonr

Can't get map service to show dynamically updated raster data

Discussion created by simpsonr on Jan 11, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 by simpsonr
I'm sure there is a best practice on this somewhere but so far, I'm pulling a big zero.

I've got an mxd that has a layer of a geo-referenced gif.  The file is actually updated every 5 minutes or so on the file system.  I've got the mxd published as a map service but the map service never updates (after I press f5) to show the latest image.  I can look at the image on the file system and sure enough, it looks different than what I see in the map service JavaScript viewer.

How to I nudge the map service (or MXD) to refresh every 5 minutes or so so the end user will always see the latest image that gets put on the file system?

It seems that every time a users makes a request to view a map service (from the javascript view for example), that map service is not pulling data from the data store every time.  It seems to be caching the data somewhere, somehow.  I don't want that.  I want the end user request to force the map service to retrieve data (in this case a raster file) from it's file system source, every time the request is made.

I've tried clearing browser cache but that doesn't seem to be the issue, as I can go over to another PC that hasn't accessed this service before and it pulls up an old image as well.

Outcomes