New filter funtionality

01-09-2013 06:24 AM
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
When I create a filter on a feature service in a web map, choosing "is" as the operator and "value" or "unique" I get a drop down menu populated with the values in the selected field and other times I don't.  Is there a limit to the number of features in a feature service or unique values in an attribute field that disables the drop down?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcGIS.com sends a request to the service for unique values. ArcGIS.com has a short timeout for the response. If the server doesn't reply within the time limit, no values will display. Thus, the more records, the longer it will take the server to generate the list of unique values and the greater possibility for ArcGIS.com to timeout.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
Makes sense, but I have a situation that doesn't seem to follow that reasoning.  I have a web map with 2 hosted services:

1)  Parcels feature service with just over 180,000 features and an attribute field named "Municpality" with 73 unique values
2)  Municipalities feature service with just 73 features and an attribute field named "Municipality_Name" with (obviously) 73 unique values.

Yet the drop down shows up on the "change" tab of the filter for the parcels layer and not the Municipalities layer.  Seems like it should be the other way around.  Maybe it has something to do with a setting used when I first published the service.  I'm not sure.
0 Kudos
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II
I am experiencing the same problem.  Can't determine why it works on some services, but not others.  Has anyone discovered a solution?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you can share the URLs to the services you're having problems with and describe how you want to filter, we can try to reproduce the error.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
Did you publish your feature service to AGOL with arcmap v10  or v10.1?  I had problems with data published from v10 and when I published the same data with v10.1 the problem was resolved.  Hope that works for you.
0 Kudos
CraigCarsley
Mike and Rick,

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I am using ArcMap 10.1 to publish the service.  The other service I used was pulled in from the County's ArcGIS server. 
The URLs are...

Healthy_Homes_Test is the one I'm having trouble with.  I want to create a drop-down filter for Type and/or Status.
Code_Enforcement does it automatically.

Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Craig,

You need to share the healthy homes service to everyone for me to be able to see it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CraigCarsley
I have adjusted the share settings to include everyone.  Thanks for taking a look.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Basically, the Unique option on the filter only works in Edit mode allowing the map author to define the query from a dropdown list. This dropdown doesn't appear in View/Change mode. Not that we couldn't do it, we just don't currently. It would require sending a query to the layer for every unique value filter.

The dropdown does work on the code enforcement layer on one field, INSPSTATUS. The reason it works is because the INSPSTATUS field has coded value domains. If you look at the service URL, it advertises the coded values without having to do a query against the data.

http://maps.dogis.org/arcgis/rest/services/Planning/Code_Enforcement/MapServer/0

Look at the Fields section and you'll find this

INSPSTATUS ( type: esriFieldTypeString , alias: INSPSTATUS , length: 255 , Coded Values: [1: Inspected/Status Pending] , [2: Minor] , [4: Demolition Order] , ...1 more... )

Hope that helps explain things.

Mike
0 Kudos