problem with sharing web map for anyone (public)

01-09-2013 03:07 AM
StefanErasmi
New Contributor
I have created a web map in AGOL using my organizational account. I shared the map to anyone (public). However, when I send the link to a colleague, he cannot view it without logging on to AGOL.
Any hints?
Thanks, Stefan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
How did you generate the link to the webmap? Did you just copy the URL from the browser address bar? You need to explicitly use the Share button on the webmap to generate your link.

I'm guessing your organization does not allow public access. Thus, the URL you were copying is <your org name>.maps.arcgis.com. As soon as another user hits that URL, they are asked to sign in as a member of the organization.

The thing to remember conceptually, is your organization website is distinct from the arcgis.com website, although they look the same. You do have the ability to share with everyone, which effectively makes  items in your organization available in arcgis.com. However, you need to use the arcgis.com URL to give to people outside your organization. That's what using the Share button from the map viewer will do.

Alternatively, you can just change the URL yourself from xxxxx.maps.arcgis.com... to just www.arcgis.com...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos