Iterate through Break Values - Classification

01-08-2013 09:49 AM
ShinoRah
New Contributor
Hi there,

I am building an optimization tool,
Just wondering if anyone knows how to:

Firstly, export classified values into separate feature classes (i.e. I classify points using symbology, now I want to export those classes as separate shapefiles).. without having to go in and manually select by attribute.

Secondly, Use an iteration, either in modelbuilder or python to iterate the break values of the aforementioned classified feature class. 

I think this is tricky because it requires the manipulation of the symbology window, which I'm not sure is possible in modelbuilder.

Some background / context: What I'm looking to do is classify points by angle, into 5 different quantile classes.  Export those, connect them using least distance, evaluate them based on landuse and water / pipe crossings (give the path a value based on its desirability) then go back to the point shapefile and reclassify, slightly shifting the break values in the quantile classification until all possible sequences are found and evaluated.  The tool will then choose the lowest value as the most desirable and ta da we have an optimized layout!

Any ideas would be much appreciated, if my question doesn't make any sense please let me know and I'll clarify!!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi there,

I am building an optimization tool,
Just wondering if anyone knows how to:

Firstly, export classified values into separate feature classes (i.e. I classify points using symbology, now I want to export those classes as separate shapefiles).. without having to go in and manually select by attribute.

Secondly, Use an iteration, either in modelbuilder or python to iterate the break values of the aforementioned classified feature class. 

I think this is tricky because it requires the manipulation of the symbology window, which I'm not sure is possible in modelbuilder.

Some background / context: What I'm looking to do is classify points by angle, into 5 different quantile classes.  Export those, connect them using least distance, evaluate them based on landuse and water / pipe crossings (give the path a value based on its desirability) then go back to the point shapefile and reclassify, slightly shifting the break values in the quantile classification until all possible sequences are found and evaluated.  The tool will then choose the lowest value as the most desirable and ta da we have an optimized layout!

Any ideas would be much appreciated, if my question doesn't make any sense please let me know and I'll clarify!!

Thanks!

Make it easier on your self.  Create a new long or text field to hold a value representing your 5 different quantile classes and create a single Code Blocked field calculator expression with if clauses that test each record for which of the five classes the value occurs in.  You may want to add a test for Null values as well to avoid an error when that occurs.  Now with that field you should have options to break apart separate feature classes in a variety of ways.
0 Kudos