9.2sp5 VB.Net toolbar--> 10.0 Questions + Problems.

01-04-2013 01:46 PM
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
Dear Readers,

i was able to recompile a 9.2 sp5 arcobjects toolbar that had an installer.vb file and an MS installer proj attached to it. as per the web pages, i had to add reference to add.local and 1 more component. at first (with no change - all automatic settings of vs 2010 and the old code as it were) i was able to display the toolbar, click on the buttons and see a few things here and here. the old code was developed with vs2005/ later to 2008 and to 2010 and .net framework 2 to 3.5 and to 4.0 all on an xp machine.

i had to revisit the code to move the application to arcgis 10.0 on windows 7 (64 bit os) and vs 2010. now when i started working on the app and wanted to make specific changes, and followed these links.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/How_to_migrate_ArcGIS_9...

made project changes as per link (regasm.exe) changes in http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/Migrating_ArcGIS_9_3_De...

Error 1 An error occurred while validating. HRESULT = '80004005' C:\CDriveContents-06Sep2012\DotNetSourceCode\NewGNT-10.0Test\GNTInstaller\GNTInstaller.vdproj GNTInstaller

Error 2 Cannot load referenced assembly: 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\stdole\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\stdole.dll' C:\CDriveContents-06Sep2012\DotNetSourceCode\NewGNT-10.0Test\GNTToolbar\TlbImp GNTProj

Error 3 System.IO.FileLoadException - API restriction: The assembly 'file:///C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\stdole\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\stdole.dll' has already loaded from a different location. It cannot be loaded from a new location within the same appdomain. C:\CDriveContents-06Sep2012\DotNetSourceCode\NewGNT-10.0Test\GNTToolbar\TlbImp GNTProj

i have set the target framework to be 3.5 as per the suggestions of the links above and made the target machine to be x86.   i had also set the Register for COM interop as checked = true.`

i am unable to see the references in Project tab due to the moniker error:
An error occurred trying to load the page.
Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5,Profile=Client'. This can happen if the target framework is not installed or if the framework moniker is incorrectly formatted.

whether it is 3.5 client profile or plain 3.5, i get the above error.

.net framework has been around for a long time and i am wondering why ArcGIS 10.0 is forcing people to be on 3.5 framework. that is great stumbling block for me as machines nationwide have to be re-configured to use 10.0 arc if this app /toolbar demands 3.5.1 full version installed on client machines.

i have set all dlls as not specific version (flag = false as per help links above).

any way to move forward with my problems?

thanks and regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgisdesktop/10.0/arcgis-desktop-system-requirements

".NET Framework 3.5 SP1 must be installed prior to installing ArcGIS for Desktop."

The current Microsoft Framework is 4.5.  That means that 2.0, 3.5, and 4.0 are not current.

I am guessing here that you are probably referring to XP clients which are end of life:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

I personally think that ESRI should have moved to the 4.0 framework so long as they support XP and then move to 4.5 when XP support is dropped.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
With regards to your project problems, my suggestion is to simply create a new project.  In the new project, copy the sources files into it and add the references that you need.

When I have project upgrade problems, this is the approach that I use.
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
RLWatson,

good morning. thank you for your reply. 

I have 'minimum' 3.5.1 components installed on the national CCE configuration as they call it.  the only deviation for my desktop over the rest of the national deployed machines, is that I have 'special' / upgraded privileges (i cannot be more explicit).

I will also try your start from new 3.5 .net project and add all these files and let you know.  thanks for your thoughts.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
To deploy all of the 3.5.1 onto Windows 7 machines will require some extra paper work and approval process.  i will start working on that.  that is the best i can do to fix ESRI's 3.5.1 requirement.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
I decided to attach a pdf with the 3.5.1 minimum components indicator.
0 Kudos
sharvarisangle1
New Contributor
Hi Ravi,

Please refer the below link and navigate to section
�??Install the ArcGIS 10 ArcObjects .NET SDK�?�
The below link describes the following:
At ArcGIS 10, you must install the ArcGIS 10 ArcObjects .NET software development kit (SDK) to develop .NET-based Desktop or Engine applications. This was not explicitly required at 9.3.
Before you can install the ArcGIS 10 ArcObjects .NET SDK, the following software must be installed on your machine:
�?� Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
�?� Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack 1
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#/How_to_migrate_ArcGIS_9...

I hope this helps !! 🙂
0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor
Sharvari,

thank you for your help.

regards
ravi.
0 Kudos