Does Spatial Data Server (SDS) access Versioned Views when connecting a geodatabase?

Jump to solution
01-03-2013 12:52 PM
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I have been wondering, and I think ESRI can only really answer it or someone who has already attempted this, but does Spatial Data Server (SDS) access Versioned Views when connecting an ESRI / ArcSDE geodatabase?

Although I realize that the primary use of SDS is to acces non-geodatabase spatial databases with no geodatabase repository, I do see mentioned that SDS can access a geodatabase as well.

But since it doesn't support the geodatabase, since it is not based on ArcSDE, the only reasonable way I can think of that it accesses the geodatabase is via the new 10.1 Versioned Views that are also created by default at 10.1, that are after all designed to allow non-ESRI GIS/CAD software or webapplications unaware of geodatabase logic to access a geodatabase version. It could potentially also only connect to the base table of a versioned Feature Class, or not support versioned Feature Classes at all, but I can't find good info about this.

Since SDS bases it webservices on ArcMap documents, with its layers potentially based on versioned Feature Classes and datasources, the most logical thing seems accessing the Versioned Views...

Documentation on this point seems poor.

Anyone ideas or links to documentation about this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
OK, I think I can now answer my own question. I now found this 10.1 Help page referring to SDS and Versioned Views:

00161: Versioned feature layer does not have a versioned view

Clearly, based on this page, SDS needs versioned data in an ESRI geodatabase as Versioned Views to access them. Non-versioned data seems to be accessed straight through the base table based on this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Still curious to the answer of this question, no-one a clue?
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
OK, I think I can now answer my own question. I now found this 10.1 Help page referring to SDS and Versioned Views:

00161: Versioned feature layer does not have a versioned view

Clearly, based on this page, SDS needs versioned data in an ESRI geodatabase as Versioned Views to access them. Non-versioned data seems to be accessed straight through the base table based on this.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
The ArcGIS Spatial Data Server (SDS) REST API provides a simple, open Web interface to spatial and tabular information in databases, tables, and views hosted in a relational database, such as SQL Server so if you have a table or view you can use it. However the switch beetwen versions you should do it ( http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/006z/006z0000000z000000.htm )
0 Kudos