Listing ArcGIS Map Services EXTREMELY Slow at 10.1 in ArcCatalog and ArcMap

01-02-2013 09:18 AM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
After upgrading one of our two test ArcGIS Server to 10.1 just listing map services has become extremely slow.  At 10.0 it took less than 1 second to display all 8 services in a folder using ArcCatalog.  Listing the same 8 services on the 10.1 server takes 54 seconds.  That's a factor of 54 times longer.  In ArcCatalog it takes 27 seconds for it to list just the first of the 8 services and a total of 54 from beginning to end. 

The two ArcGIS Server servers are VMs with identical configurations except one is ArcGIS Server 10.0 and the other 10.1.  The 10.1 VM was even bumped up to 6 GB from the original 4 GB of memory without any improvement. 

I'm use to each new version of ESRI software to run slower on the same hardware but this is painful.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  BTW, I tried using a different PC with 10.1  desktop and it took only 49 seconds compared to 54 seconds.  A little faster but still practically unusable.

(Update:  I've tried the same thing from two more PCs and each lists all the map services in under a second.  One is running ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 the other 10.1.  All 10.1 desktops have SP1 installed so I don't know why some work fine while the others don't.)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MuryadiOey
New Contributor III
Yes, I have the same experience as yours. it is very slow in populating services, publishing services compare to 10.0.
I called ESRI and support guy said he has passed the information to implementation team and at this point there is no solution for this.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Is the config-store for your server a Local or UNC path?
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Is the config-store for your server a Local or UNC path?

It's local.

I tested from another PC running Desktop 10.0 and found no performance problem when listing services.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Hm, well there's a bug that is logged for config-stores using UNC paths, but the underlying issue is that ArcCatalog and ArcMap requests information 4 times when displaying the services.  SP1 for ArcGIS Server optimized the listing of services in Manager so that it sends one request to grab the information on all services listed.  The bug addresses the change made in Manager so it can be applied to listing services in Catalog.  Again, while the bug is specific to UNC paths and larger numbers of services publish, there may be other factors that are coming into play that are affecting the requests.  You can use Fiddler to watch these requests go through and see why it's taking so long.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
It turns out an ordinary user connection work just fine.  Very responsive.  But an admin connection to the same server from the same PC is so slow it's basically unusable.  Thank goodness for the web based  ArcGIS Server Manager!
0 Kudos
DanMcCoy
0 Kudos