kreuzrsk

Listing ArcGIS Map Services EXTREMELY Slow at 10.1 in ArcCatalog and ArcMap

Discussion created by kreuzrsk on Jan 2, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 by sacdou
After upgrading one of our two test ArcGIS Server to 10.1 just listing map services has become extremely slow.  At 10.0 it took less than 1 second to display all 8 services in a folder using ArcCatalog.  Listing the same 8 services on the 10.1 server takes 54 seconds.  That's a factor of 54 times longer.  In ArcCatalog it takes 27 seconds for it to list just the first of the 8 services and a total of 54 from beginning to end. 

The two ArcGIS Server servers are VMs with identical configurations except one is ArcGIS Server 10.0 and the other 10.1.  The 10.1 VM was even bumped up to 6 GB from the original 4 GB of memory without any improvement. 

I'm use to each new version of ESRI software to run slower on the same hardware but this is painful.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  BTW, I tried using a different PC with 10.1  desktop and it took only 49 seconds compared to 54 seconds.  A little faster but still practically unusable.

(Update:  I've tried the same thing from two more PCs and each lists all the map services in under a second.  One is running ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 the other 10.1.  All 10.1 desktops have SP1 installed so I don't know why some work fine while the others don't.)

Outcomes