How to do feature labeling?

01-02-2013 05:54 AM
Labels (1)
GeorgeFaraj
Occasional Contributor III
I can't seem to find anything in the Runtime documentation about labeling features. Can someone point me in the right direction? I need to be able to setup labeling inside the features, like in the ArcObjects SDK.

Thanks,
George
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

There are a number of questions on the forum regarding labeling in the WPF SDK. As you have found, there is currently no API for labeling in the classic ArcGIS / ArcObjects / Maplex sense. Regarding labelling in the current WPF SDK, you can use TextSymbols and can calculate the placement from the LabelPoints operation on the GeometryService task.

We are working on a labeling design which will eventually be rolled out across the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs (excluding WPF) - you can see a preview of this in the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET beta, although in the beta it is quite a limited API. Therefore we welcome input e.g.:
- Types of layers/objects you would like to label?
- Placement control you need?
- Display properties you would like to set?
- Behavior you would like the labels to exhibit?
- Interaction you expect to be able to have with labels in the map?

You can email me on mbranscomb@esri.com if you would prefer to contact me directly.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
SaranPon
New Contributor
Hi,

It's great to hear that ESRI finally introduce Labeling in Runtime WPF.

We are currently have a lot of struggle with Labeling.

1) We need to show labels for all of the features in a layer.
2) Labels need to support font, style, size, color, halo, box and other styles such as bold, italic and underline, all caps, expanded.
3) Allow user to change the text of one or more Labels in a layer.
4) When zoomed out, Labels should not be shown in cluttered manner
5) A label should not override another label
6) User should be able move Label to a different place still Label should show a link to its original location using a line pointer.

These are the labeling functions we are expecting at this time. Let us know what we can expect from the beta? Also when is the release planned?

Thanks,
Saran
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Thank you for the information, we really appreciate it. If you have downloaded the Dev Summit beta of the .NET SDK you will find 1-5 mostly implemented (not all of 2). Number 6 is a significant piece of functionality and is unlikely to be available in the initial release. However, I will feed it into the planning process.

Labels for features are currently defined when sharing/publishing the features whether as a feature service, or directly as runtime content. The API in the .NET beta is available for labels on GraphicsLayers: https://developers.arcgis.com/net/desktop/api-reference/html/AllMembers_T_Esri_ArcGISRuntime_Layers_....

Regarding release schedule - we have a beta update planned within the next month and we are aiming to release in early/mid summer.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos