Label Features

12-31-2012 05:43 AM
GrantKaye
New Contributor II
Why does ArcGIS Online and/or ArcGIS Explorer online not offer the basic functionality of labeling features on a map? Or even the ability to add text?

This is one of the most basic functionalities of a GIS (let alone a paper map!), and it is unbelievably lacking! Do we really have to subscribe at the premium of $2500 to enable this functionality via served map tiles? There are several free GIS mobile apps that allow labeling, how can ESRI, the global leader in GIS, not have this functionality?

Can it really be true that something as simple as providing collaborators with the ability to see running trail names on a map or sample locations is impossible without spending $2500?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
You can take a look at this blog that goes through creating a shapefile that hold your labels.  Also, I'd suggest you vote on the following ideas on the Ideas site.  The Ideas site offers the ability for users to submit their ideas for possible implementation.

Labeling Idea 1
Labeling Idea 2
Labeling Idea 3
Labeling Idea 4

There may be more out there, but those are the first ones I found.
0 Kudos
GrantKaye
New Contributor II
Thank you Jonathan for your reply - to be clear, are you saying that there is really no way to add labels? I did come across those blog posts, however at my current license level of ArcView standalone, I cannot access the masking tool.  I will visit the ideas site.

You can take a look at this blog that goes through creating a shapefile that hold your labels.  Also, I'd suggest you vote on the following ideas on the Ideas site.  The Ideas site offers the ability for users to submit their ideas for possible implementation.

Labeling Idea 1
Labeling Idea 2
Labeling Idea 3
Labeling Idea 4

There may be more out there, but those are the first ones I found.
0 Kudos