Concurrent editing over WEB by ArcGIS Server (Standard/workgroup),

12-24-2012 12:13 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I???m not sure if the published mxd with the ???feature access??? options can by edited OVER THE WEB with only 10 users in case of ArcSDE WORKGROUP. In this case, if the 11th user tries to edit (over web), what message will appear?

Thank you very much

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
you should have like "maximum number of connections to instance exceeded".

However a database connection is made for each ArcGIS Server instance (ArcSOC.exe) that is created for the service(s).
"...By default, an instance is created as Pooled (min 1 and max 2). This means when a request (ie pan/zoom in web app) is made to the service, an instance is taken from the pool, and then returned when the request is over. Once another request is made, say from another web app, that same instance can be used for that service request. So, multiple requests will need to be made at the same time in order for another instance to be created, thus creating another connection to the SDE geodatabase. This will not exceed the maximum number of instances, so by default a service can never exceed two connections to the geodatabase unless this parameter is increased. If the max number of instances is exceeded, the client will have to wait until an instance is returned to the pool before their request is returned
Say the max instances of a service is set to two and both are being used, creating two connections to the SDE geodatabase. Then one of the users is finished accessing the service. The second SDE connection will remain until the idle time expires (set within the Services Properties > Pooling tab). Once the idle time expires, the instance will be removed from the server and the connection deleted from the SDE geodatabase..."
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
you should have like "maximum number of connections to instance exceeded".

However a database connection is made for each ArcGIS Server instance (ArcSOC.exe) that is created for the service(s).
"...By default, an instance is created as Pooled (min 1 and max 2). This means when a request (ie pan/zoom in web app) is made to the service, an instance is taken from the pool, and then returned when the request is over. Once another request is made, say from another web app, that same instance can be used for that service request. So, multiple requests will need to be made at the same time in order for another instance to be created, thus creating another connection to the SDE geodatabase. This will not exceed the maximum number of instances, so by default a service can never exceed two connections to the geodatabase unless this parameter is increased. If the max number of instances is exceeded, the client will have to wait until an instance is returned to the pool before their request is returned
Say the max instances of a service is set to two and both are being used, creating two connections to the SDE geodatabase. Then one of the users is finished accessing the service. The second SDE connection will remain until the idle time expires (set within the Services Properties > Pooling tab). Once the idle time expires, the instance will be removed from the server and the connection deleted from the SDE geodatabase..."

Thank you for the elaboration Domenico.

What I couldn�??t understand is

�?� When we say service to we mean �??windows service�?� or �??map service�?�?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20371[/ATTACH]

�?� How can one distinguish between service/instance/process?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20372[/ATTACH]

�?� In the screenshot below, the min is set to be 1, the max is set to be 1 and 4 requests are accessing the service, nevertheless all are served!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20373[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
-map service
-for service/instance/process see http://wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/Server_Software_Performance
-yes, because once that a request is made that same instance can be used for that service for another request
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
-map service
-for service/instance/process see http://wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/Server_Software_Performance
-yes, because once that a request is made that same instance can be used for that service for another request

Many thanks Domenico for the answer.

I thought that the instance can serve only one request at a time when the min & max are set to be 1.

In this sense, how the number of requests related to service/instance/process?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

I�??m not sure if the published mxd with the �??feature access�?� options can by edited OVER THE WEB with only 10 users in case of ArcSDE WORKGROUP. In this case, if the 11th user tries to edit (over web), what message will appear?

Thank you very much

Best

Jamal

Jamal, since you are referring to ArcSDE Workgroup (SQL Express), please refer to this post and let me know if it answers your question. What I was told direct from ESRI is here:
(R)egarding the questions about number of web connections and editing �?? ArcGIS for Server Workgroup supports unlimited server connections of any type. However, if you want to scale editing via a feature service to a large number of users, Workgroup�??s limitations of 1GB RAM and 1 CPU may present a challenge. I wouldn�??t suggest implementing web editing against ArcGIS Server for Workgroup based on what I understand you�??re trying to accomplish.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal, since you are referring to ArcSDE Workgroup (SQL Express), please refer to this post and let me know if it answers your question. What I was told direct from ESRI is here:

Many thanks Zachary for the answer. This is quite helpful.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos