AnsweredAssumed Answered

LayerDrawingOptions and transparency

Question asked by chrisgarrard on Dec 20, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 by brodiedev
I have a map service with multiple layers, but I would like some of the layers to draw semi-transparent. I set the transparency in the mxd, and the REST endpoint reports the default transparency values, but the layers draw completely opaque (although the color doesn't match the legend-- it's like it's lightening the color instead of making it semi-transparent). So I thought I'd try using a LayerDrawingOptions object. Using that, I can change the renderer, but changing the transparency property has no effect. And kind of like before, changing the alpha value for the symbol color in the renderer changes the color but not the transparency. The only way I've been able to get any transparency is to set it when I create the ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer, but that changes the transparency of all layers in the map service, which is not what I want.

I know I could just create a different ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer for each layer in the service, but if I have to do that, what's the point of the LayerDrawingOptions? And why isn't ArcGIS Server using the default transparency for a layer by default?

Thanks!
Chris

Outcomes