Data version in geoprocessing task in web application

Jump to solution
12-19-2012 10:33 PM
JudyTroutwine
Occasional Contributor
I am working with Server 2008 R2, ArcGIS 10.1 enterprise, and SQL Express with an Enterprise geodatabase.  I have a working editing application in Silverlight.  The geodatabase is updated correctly when edits are refreshed.  To see the changes in the edited feature class, the geodatabase has to be refreshed  manually.  On the web application web page, the edits refresh automatically, and also in the GIS Server display in ArcCatalog.

I have a mostly working geoprocessing task to take the edited feature class and convert it to another format.  The issue is in obtaining the recent edits in the outpue.  Even though the geodatabase version is set to the edited version, the Export to CAD tool only sees the DEFAULT version.  I am looking for a workaround for this.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JudyTroutwine
Occasional Contributor
It seems that my published ExportToCAD tool must be restarted to use the latest edit of the feature class (that is in the Enterprise Geodatabase via SQL Server Expresss R2 after being edited in the web application). 

To achieve the restart from my Silverlight web application, I also published tools to stop and start the ExportToCAD tool.  (For those tools, I used python scripts from the ArcGIS Server Administration Toolkit 10.1: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340#!.  The C# code then uses those tools just prior to the ExportToCAD tool.  The result is then the latest edit version of the feature class.

That does reduce performance, so I am wondering if there is a better way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Judy,

Does this only occur when executing the Geoprocessing tool through your web application?  I tested this with an 10.1 SP1 SDE feature class using the Export to CAD tool, but could not reproduce.  I was able to successfully export the features from the child version.
0 Kudos
JudyTroutwine
Occasional Contributor
Hi Judy,

Does this only occur when executing the Geoprocessing tool through your web application?  I tested this with an 10.1 SP1 SDE feature class using the Export to CAD tool, but could not reproduce.  I was able to successfully export the features from the child version.

Yes, the issue happened when using the tool through the web application.
0 Kudos
JudyTroutwine
Occasional Contributor
It seems that my published ExportToCAD tool must be restarted to use the latest edit of the feature class (that is in the Enterprise Geodatabase via SQL Server Expresss R2 after being edited in the web application). 

To achieve the restart from my Silverlight web application, I also published tools to stop and start the ExportToCAD tool.  (For those tools, I used python scripts from the ArcGIS Server Administration Toolkit 10.1: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=12dde73e0e784e47818162b4d41ee340#!.  The C# code then uses those tools just prior to the ExportToCAD tool.  The result is then the latest edit version of the feature class.

That does reduce performance, so I am wondering if there is a better way.
0 Kudos